Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with Contacts - Smart Groups

Hey, guys, I can't delete or edit any smart group I created recently in Contacts.

I was able to create new ones today (I called them of "Z", "Zz", "Zzz" to be at the end of the list. The other smart groups with proper names were old ones, which were working perfectly), but they simply don't show any contact in those smart lists. I neither can't edit or delete them afterwards. Also, I see 2 cards in addition when I'm in "All contacts" (1.062 cards) than when I'm in "All icloud" (1.060 cards) or "All on my mac" (1.060 cards). Is that even possible?

I have already switched off and on iCloud in internet accounts to solve a syncing problem (my contacts were just updating in iCloud.com and iPhone, so I disabled iCloud on my mac and turned it on again. It worked. But now I'm having this problem with the smart groups and these 2 cards which I tried to filter through the smart group, but it got stuck).

Please watch the video: https://streamable.com/ixu8h

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13), Macbook model: Late 2013

Posted on Nov 1, 2017 5:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2017 9:40 AM

Same problem but this workaround resolves the issue for me.

Edit the Smart Group. It will open the smart group editor dialog. Make that dialog as small as possible and hit OK. Re-open the smart group editor, which will show only the top two lines. You can now expand the dialog and make your edits.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2017 9:40 AM in response to Allan120791

Same problem but this workaround resolves the issue for me.

Edit the Smart Group. It will open the smart group editor dialog. Make that dialog as small as possible and hit OK. Re-open the smart group editor, which will show only the top two lines. You can now expand the dialog and make your edits.

Nov 18, 2017 2:47 AM in response to Allan120791

I can't edit new smart groups (empty window) but I can delete them.

Unfortunately while investigating this issue I deleted my old working smart groups but I can't recreate them now...

I'am surprised that the issue is not reported by more users...

At the origin, I was troubleshooting syncing issues between Mac/iCloud/iOS in address book (which seems to be a known problem)

Feb 1, 2018 1:58 PM in response to Samboca

Thanks Samboca. Tried that, but still my Smart Groups are not working properly. In my case I can create a SG, but it seems that if I add more than one condition, the SG aspect fails. It will create a "smart" group but it simply displays all my contacts in that SG. I've never had problems before. Just upgraded to new MB Pro last month & now running OSX high sierra 10.13.3 Anyone have solutions to this?

Problems with Contacts - Smart Groups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.