Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Older MacOs not recognizing Time machine share MacOs High Sierra

I recently upgraded to High Sierra. It seems that older macOs are not able to take advantage of the Time Machine Share like it’s used to in previous MacOS's server. My most recent Mac can see the TM drive but my older macs (El Capitan) can’t. Is this a normal behaviour? Does anybody have a fix for that?

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), Time Machine Share

Posted on Nov 1, 2017 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2017 11:37 PM

Read the detail in "Disks you can use with Time machine" ( https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/disks-you-can-use-with-time-machi ne-mh15139 )

Also the last section of Prepare for APFS in macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

6 replies

Nov 5, 2017 4:20 PM in response to cafournier

I now have it working so that my old Mac running El Capitan can do a Time Machine backup to my new iMac running High Sierra. I succeeded by creating a folder "Network Backups" on my Time Machine external drive and sharing that instead of the whole Time Machine drive. Make sure you enable AFP in addition to SMB when you enable File Sharing. Note the AFP file sharing URL which will be something like "afp://<IP address>". Add the folder you want to use for network backups and enable it for Time Machine backups.

On the older Mac running El Capitan use Connect to Server on the Finder Go menu and enter afp://<IP address> as you saw on the High Sierra Mac. A dialog will appear with the available drives on the High Sierra machine and the folder you set up for backups. Connect to the shared folder and you will see it mounted on your desktop. Go into Time Machine Preferences and you should now see it as a choice when you click on Select Disk.... You don't have to leave the network folder mounted as Time Machine will remember it and mount it as needed.

Older MacOs not recognizing Time machine share MacOs High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.