Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microphone does not work to send text messages

When I press the mic icon to send a text message, the message does not record and the mic icon has a line through it.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 11.0.3

Posted on Nov 1, 2017 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2017 6:49 AM

Hi thomasfromdaytona beach,

I understand that when you try to record an audio message, it doesn't record and the microphone has a line through it. It is nice to be able to use audio messages. Let's see what we can do.

You've came from a great article for microphone issues ( Get help with the microphones on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch ). Let's have you force close the Messages app and restart the iPhone.

How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Then test out and see whether you can record an audio message. If the issues persists, please create a backup of your device. Use the article below for reference:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Then reinstall iOS using the steps outlined in the article, If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch , under the section titled 'Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again'. Please note that even though the title of this article pertains to a different issue, these steps are the ones that are needed to reinstall iOS.

Go ahead and run through those steps and let me know how it goes.

Kind Regards.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2017 6:49 AM in response to thomasfromdaytona beach

Hi thomasfromdaytona beach,

I understand that when you try to record an audio message, it doesn't record and the microphone has a line through it. It is nice to be able to use audio messages. Let's see what we can do.

You've came from a great article for microphone issues ( Get help with the microphones on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch ). Let's have you force close the Messages app and restart the iPhone.

How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Then test out and see whether you can record an audio message. If the issues persists, please create a backup of your device. Use the article below for reference:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Then reinstall iOS using the steps outlined in the article, If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch , under the section titled 'Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again'. Please note that even though the title of this article pertains to a different issue, these steps are the ones that are needed to reinstall iOS.

Go ahead and run through those steps and let me know how it goes.

Kind Regards.

Microphone does not work to send text messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.