Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7 Plus pairs to bluetooth headphones but not for phone calls

Hi. I have had this problem for some time now and it is really annoying! This happens with anBluetoothth headphones - I primarily use apple airpods, Bose Soundsport wireless, and Plantronics Legend for alls. This issue occurs on all of them.

I have reset them and repaired them and still the same result.

I was hoping the last update might fix it but it did not. I am running ios 11.1.

The settings are set to Bluetooth = Settings, General, Accessibility, Call Audio Routing, Bluetooth Headset - I also chose automatic. I can't use bluetooth for calls even if I chose it from the menu - by chosing air pods or bose it produces no sound for calls. Even though it looks like it is paired.

I can hear music through all of the headphones. But when I make a call or try to answer a call it switches to the phone. I click on the device to be able to speak through it and I can't hear them nor can the caller hear me. I then have to use the phone or speaker. It is paired when I look at the Bluetooth connection but it doesn't work for calls. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11.1, using with AirPods, Bose Free, Plan

Posted on Nov 1, 2017 11:18 AM

5 replies

Nov 1, 2017 1:30 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Hi Chris. Yes, the headset is powered on. And I totally understand why you are asking! : ) I usually listen to music then will take or make calls. I have attached some pictures this time using both the airpods and the bose. I click on the airpods and as you can see it says it is connected but I hear nothing at all. When I hit the volume up it says bluetooth but again I hear nothing. I really appreciate your help on this...

Nov 1, 2017 11:22 AM in response to Lovemytech

When the call comes in, are you answering it with the headphone, or on the phone itself? If you look at the phone screen, in the upper right of the group of selections, you should see Audio, and there you can select the headphones if you wish. Many headphones will not initially take the call if you answer the call on the phone itself. You have to transfer it. You can also check Settings>General>Accessibility, and see what the settings is for Call Audio Routing. It should be on Automatic, and the call should route to the headset if you have on connected. However, like I said, many require you to answer the call with a button on the headset rather than on the phone.

Nov 1, 2017 11:34 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi Chris! Thank you for your prompt response. I checked those settings and it was set to Bluetooth Headset. I have changed it to automatic but it still isn't working.

I am answering and making calls with the blue tooth headset on.

The settings are set to Bluetooth = Settings, General, Accessibility, Call Audio Routing, Bluetooth Headset - I also chose automatic. I can't use Bluetooth for calls even if I chose it from the menu - by choosing air pods or bose it produces no sound for calls. Even though it looks like it is paired.

Again, really appreciate your help.

Nov 1, 2017 12:42 PM in response to Lovemytech

Lovemytech wrote:

I am answering and making calls with the blue tooth headset on.

Okay, thanks for that, but just to be sure, I understand that the headset it on, I'm assuming powered on, and on your head, but are you using the button on the headset to answer? If yes, and you aren't hearing, and I think I'm understanding that you are not able to use the button to change the audio when in the call, what happens if while you are in the call and you try to turn up the volume on the phone using the buttons on the side of the phone. What do you see on the screen, and does that change the sound any?

iPhone 7 Plus pairs to bluetooth headphones but not for phone calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.