Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSL Certificate WiFi Connection Issue

I believe I have found an 'out of order' issue with iOS 11 (maybe also iOS 10, but not completely verified) and above.

If you have a SSL certificate on your WiFi network and you renew or change it for any reason, you may find some iPhone users are unable to connect to the WiFi network. You will see no problems with your certificate or authenticating server but you may see 'NoName' failures against your user authentication solution.

The iPhone users in question get the new Certificate screen to 'Trust' or 'Accept' first, and then they get a their login screen. The iPhone then says that the 'User name or password is incorrect'.

I believe through testing and observation that the login screen should come up first before the certificate screen. That something is holding the login screen up so that the certificate screen comes through too early. Without actual authentication, the iPhone is actually not able to get the new certificate for it's store and that interferes with the login process.

By going through this procedure:

In WiFi, click the info on the WiFi Network and turn off Auto-Join, then click Forget Network - Turn off WiFi - Double-tap the home button and shut down all running apps - Then go back to WiFi and turn WiFi back on - Then try and join the WiFi Network - Should give the login screen first…then you know it’s going to work. The cert trust comes up afterward and then they are able to connect now.

This is either because of any certificate renewal or change to the WiFi network OR it was because of a mistake where the wrong format of certificate was first installed (without private key).

Can anyone validate this finding and to which circumstance this problem instance belongs to?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11

Posted on Nov 1, 2017 12:37 PM

There are no replies.

SSL Certificate WiFi Connection Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.