Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn Memories off!

I get notifications a new memory is created when I am sleeping. I don't want certain memories. How do I turn this off? It should never have been automatically turned on in the first place.

iPhone 5, iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 1, 2017 1:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2018 1:20 PM

As far as I can tell there is no way to turn off memories. In my opinion getting all of my photos scanned in the background is an invasion of privacy. I suggest clicking here Feedback - iPhone - Apple to submit a complaint about this.

5 replies

Jan 23, 2018 2:53 AM in response to cby016

As far as I can tell there is no way to turn off memories. In my opinion getting all of my photos scanned in the background is an invasion of privacy.

It is at the heart of the way how Photos has been designed. It is meant to make it easy to structure the Photos library automatically, because Photos on iOS devices has no tools at all to assign metadata to our photos - we cannot assign titles, descriptions, keywords or other tags, like we could in iPhoto iOs. We have no way to create smart albums,, so Photos is trying to help us by analyzing the photos and structuring them thematically for us. Since we cannot assign a keyword "Dog" to all photos of a dog, Photos is trying to identify all dogs in the photos and assigns the category "Dog".

I would prefer to have the titles, descriptions, tags back, and to be able to create again smart albums, like we could do in the predecessor "iPhoto", but since this is probably not going to happen in a long time, I am glad the categories are available.

I am usually deleting the memories as soon as they appear, because Photos is rarely picking the photos I would like to see again. They are a useful reminder of the photos that need deleting however. The Memories seem to give priority to older photos, that have not been looked at for a long time and also photos with happy people in them. Since I rarely take photos of people (I prefer photos of scenery and wild life), most photos with people in them are showing strangers, who accidentally got included in the shot. When I am seeing such photos in a memory, I am using the occasion to deal with them - either delete the photo or retouch the people out, if the photo is otherwise worth keeping and I have no other picture of the place without tourists in them.

Nov 2, 2017 3:49 PM in response to cargusjoh

You cannot disable the Memories feature. It is built into Photos. You can only limit the types of memories a bit.

Disable "Holiday events": Go to Settings > Photos, then turn off Show Holiday Events

Memories try to use photos with named faces. So do not name any people to make it harder for Photos to create memories.

Dec 5, 2017 8:52 AM in response to stevejobsfan0123

Thanks. I did just that when suddenly my phone announced that "Photos has a new memory for me this morning. It becomes increasingly annoying when every single app and thing tries to be Facebook and my phone fires off a sound every time anyone in my life takes a breath. I just use Photos for storage and not for sharing. I have dozens of other ways to do that.

How do I turn Memories off!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.