Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bad graphic performance after sleep

After updating to High Sierra im getting bad graphics performance at several Applications (Counterstrike, Davinci Resolve) after waking up from sleep mode. It seems the GPU is throttling to 20-30% of its normal performance. After restarting the machine the performance is back to normal.

My machine is an MacBook Pro 2016 (512,2GB Radeon 455) with newest High Sierra Update 13.1

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), 455 2GB Radeon

Posted on Nov 2, 2017 2:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2017 2:29 PM

I'm having the same problem, the problem did not occur on Sierra. I have been running every beta as soon as it comes out, but the issue is present in every update. Occasionally (especially after waking it in the morning) the Radeon GPU performance becomes unusable, requiring a restart. I have brought the machine to the Apple store, where they have run diagnostics and could see nothing wrong with the hardware. Their only suggestion was to factory reset the machine, but the problem still persists.

I have the MacBook Pro 2016 15-inch (256GB, Radeon 450). Currently on 10.13.2 beta (17C60c).

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2017 2:29 PM in response to dennzulus

I'm having the same problem, the problem did not occur on Sierra. I have been running every beta as soon as it comes out, but the issue is present in every update. Occasionally (especially after waking it in the morning) the Radeon GPU performance becomes unusable, requiring a restart. I have brought the machine to the Apple store, where they have run diagnostics and could see nothing wrong with the hardware. Their only suggestion was to factory reset the machine, but the problem still persists.

I have the MacBook Pro 2016 15-inch (256GB, Radeon 450). Currently on 10.13.2 beta (17C60c).

Nov 6, 2017 7:07 AM in response to dennzulus

My MacBook Graphics are actually always slow. Specially Slack and Atom are unbearable. Typing something has a delay ore more than a second. I already tried a reinstall, removed some of the graphics plists stuff, reset PRAM and probably various other things.. Nothing seems to help. Other apps are not always slow, but some noticeable slowdown occasionally occur. RAM is not full, CPU usage is not high. Also another user has the same problem. Since I installed High Sierra I have this issue, and it's driving me crazy.. I did not buy a new MacBook to end up with a slower device, specially since I have the 4GB GPU option installed.

Nov 11, 2017 4:15 PM in response to dennzulus

I'm also experiencing this issue.

It was never an issue in Sierra 10.12.6, but ever since upgrading to High Sierra (10.13.0 and 10.13.1) this issue is present. I have to reboot my computer every time it's been to sleep, otherwise the graphical performance is reduced by about 70%. I have a MacBook Pro 2017 with an i7 2.9GHz, 512GB SSD and Radeon Pro 560M.

This issue is also widely documented on macrumors and on multiple gaming forums (Blizzard, WoW, Diablo, etc).
It needs to be fixed asap as this also severly affects rendering times in Final Cut Pro X byt A LOT.

Nov 11, 2017 4:19 PM in response to dennzulus

It's still not fixed in 10.13.1, 10.13.2 beta 1 or beta 2.

Very disappointing to say the least.

Reported on Reddit: GPU Performance in High Sierra drops after sleepmode - MacOS
Reported on the MacRumors forums: 2017 MBP 15" Radeon GPU does not work after resume from long sleep

Reported on Blizzard's Diablo forums: High Sierra 10.13 - Low FPS - Diablo III forums

Reported on Blizzard's WoW forums: Frame-rate problems after DL'ing High Sierra - World of Warcraft forums

Nov 22, 2017 6:56 AM in response to dennzulus

Ugh this is sadly my issue also.

2017 15inch MacBook Pro 3.1GHZ Radeon 560 4gb

I put the laptop to sleep all the time at work and find poor performance after waking in photoshop and illustrator. Moving and rotating big shapes takes forever compared to reboot. I also play a few FPS games on the Mac and frame rate is slowed dramatically after sleep. Doesn’t seem fair for a laptop that cost me $4600

Nov 27, 2017 3:13 AM in response to alexkay99

I've been afraid that this was another hardware issue, since I have already had 2 with my Late 2016 15-inch MBP. I am "happy" to hear that I'm not the only one.

My Geekbench score after sleep was 11818, whereas shortly after restart it went up to 37299. I have Radeon Pro 450 and its performance after sleep was worse than Intel HD 530, which scored 19150 points.

Bad graphic performance after sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.