Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

whatsapp drains battery

whatsapp application drains the battery (always > 60%) in my ios11. i had already turned off the background app referesh and most group notifications. Any suggestions how to improve this?

Posted on Nov 2, 2017 4:22 AM

1 reply

Nov 2, 2017 4:42 PM in response to Sreejith_S1

Hi Sreejith_S1,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand that since updating your iPhone the app Whatsapp is consistently consuming more than average battery. I also see that you've done some troubleshooting involving disabling background app refresh and some notifications. I know it's important to get the most from your battery and I'd like to help. In Settings > Battery tap the clock icon to see if there are other factors, such as Location Services, contributing to the consumption you see from Whatsapp.

View Battery Usage information

With iOS, you can easily manage your device’s battery life, because you can see the proportion of your battery used by each app (unless the device is charging). To view your usage, go to Settings > Battery.

Here are the messages you may see listed below the apps you’ve been using:

Location and Background Location. This indicates that the app is using location services.

• You can optimize your battery life by turning off Location Services for the app. Turn off in Settings > Privacy > Location Services.
  • In Location Services, you can see each app listed with its permission setting. Apps that recently used location services have an indicator next to the on/off switch.

Home & Lock Screen. This indicates that the Home screen or Lock screen was displayed on your device. For example, the display was awakened by pressing the Home button or by a notification.

If an app frequently wakes your display with notifications, you can turn off push notifications for the app in Settings > Notifications. Tap App and set Allow Notifications to Off.

No Cell Coverage and Low Signal. This indicates that either you are in a poor cell coverage area and your iOS device is searching for a better signal or that you’ve used your device in low-signal conditions, which has affected your battery life.

You can optimize your battery life by turning on Airplane mode. Swipe up to open Control Center and tap the Airplane mode icon. Note that you cannot make or receive calls while in Airplane mode.

Maximizing Battery Life and Lifespan

If you continue to have trouble, you may also want to try these steps:

Check for iOS and app updates

1. Make sure that you're using latest version of iOS.
  2. Open the App Store and tap Updates.
  3. If updates are available, tap Update All.
  4. If asked, enter your Apple ID password.

You might need a Wi-Fi connection to update some apps.

Delete and reinstall the app

1. Tap and hold the app until it jiggles.
  2. Tap the User uploaded file on the app.
    User uploaded file
  3. Press the Home button.
  4. Go to the App Store and download the app again.
  5. Wait for the app to download, then open it from the Home screen.
If an app you installed unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open

Best Regards.

whatsapp drains battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.