Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro asking for WPA2 password

Hi all,

I just installed a wi-fi network extender and suddenly my wife's 2010 MacBook Pro (Sierra) is asking for a WPA2 password to access one of our wi-fi networks. I am certain that I'm inputting the correct password (it's the WPA2 password written on the router; it's not the wi-fi password itself), and it keeps getting rejected. None of our other devices are asking for this, and even my wife's MacBook Pro isn't asking for this for our other two networks.

I've rebooted the router, restarted her machine, fiddled with her wi-fi settings in Preferences, etc., but I can't make this go away or work. Does anyone have any ideas? I would be grateful. Thank you.

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Nov 3, 2017 7:12 AM

9 replies

Nov 3, 2017 1:32 PM in response to MarkPek

If you want to "extend" your network, the idea is you give the extender the SAME Network-name and the SAME password. Then you will have ONE Network like one of these:

User uploaded file

The top model (with Ethernet between the stations) gives better performance. The bottom model burns up some of the bandwidth in Router-to-Router talking.

The initial choice of 2.4 and 5 using the same name allows your Mac to choose. It will likely choose the best connection (least garbage) which is not always the fastest or most trouble-free. So the OPTION exists for giving the two bands (2.4 and 5) Different names so that you can selectively join one or the other to get around unusual conditions.

Nov 3, 2017 1:17 PM in response to MarkPek

The default WPA-2 password written on the Router should have been replaced by your daily-use WPA-2 password when you installed your original Router. So it should no longer be valid unless you do a Deep Reset (usually with a paper-clip) on your Router. (not suggesting you do that).

The range extender needs to be told it has the same network-name, and needs to be set up with WPA-2 and the same password as the main router, but in"bridge" mode, (or whatever term they use).

Nov 3, 2017 2:18 PM in response to MarkPek

No complications, the Router and Extender will adjust. Then you have to tell each computer and phone to join the new network-name, if it has changed.

Almost all Routers since 802.11g will combine themselves happily. Channel selection should be set to "auto" in each Router, so they can adjust for existing conditions and competition from your neighbors.

MacBook Pro asking for WPA2 password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.