Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WD My Passport Format Problem (High Sierra)

I'm having some trouble formatting my WD my passport in High Sierra.

I did not purchase the Mac version of WD external hard drive, and was wondering if it can be formatted to JHSF+ or to the new APFS film system. I don't want to use exFAT or FAT32. Currently it seems to be formatted to exFAT.

But the problem is this.. I am unable to format or rename this disk. Not even to exFAT or FAT32..

anyone help?.... please.....

(Macbook Pro 15" 2016)

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Posted on Nov 3, 2017 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2017 8:31 AM

Try this:

Open Disk Utility (not in Recovery Mode) and change the View drop-down (upper left corner) to Show All Devices. Then select your actual device - not the indented volume - and then the Erase making sure the Partition Map Scheme is GUID and format is Mac OS Extended (Journaled). This should recreate your single volume as GUID/HFS+.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2017 8:31 AM in response to leealsdn

Try this:

Open Disk Utility (not in Recovery Mode) and change the View drop-down (upper left corner) to Show All Devices. Then select your actual device - not the indented volume - and then the Erase making sure the Partition Map Scheme is GUID and format is Mac OS Extended (Journaled). This should recreate your single volume as GUID/HFS+.

Dec 5, 2017 11:52 AM in response to leealsdn

I had this problem with two WD My Passport drives bought for use as a Time Machine backups. What I had to do was use the WD utilty program to reformat the drive as HFS+. Once I did this I could rename it.

However, these drives have been unreliable. Time Machine backups fail on theM. You have to eject the drive, disconnect and recinne it. These drives don’t work properly with High Sierra.

Apr 16, 2018 11:24 AM in response to krismac22

I have the same problem and it seems to me that erasing would delete everything on the WD hard drive. I just had this happen to two hard drives and I have lots of material on two 4 TB HDD. Both were renamed by the system this week and both show two partitions, but I am afraid to change the partitions for fear of erasing everything. I have tried plugging the external drive into my laptop, but it doesn't make any difference.

Does anyone know what is causing this? More importantly, is there any way to recover the information on the drives.

May 6, 2018 8:48 PM in response to leealsdn

I fear you are right. I bought a My Passport for Mac 1 TB yesterday, and foolishly agreed to password protection with encryption. They restored my MacOS at the Apple Store for a problem I was having, and now the WD drive is not recognizing my password, even though I wrote it down, and it matches my hint. *****. I tried it on another Mac, same thing.

Jun 17, 2018 11:16 PM in response to leealsdn

I have the same problem with WD my passport ultra 1TB external USB disk (after upgrading to High Sierra) but fortunately I've installed Windows 10 on BOOTCAMP and then Parallels Desktop 13 on macOS 10.13.5 and do active as a system Windows 10 in this Parallels, and then surprise, after booting Windows 10 from Parallels Desktop 13 connect WD disk it is visible, accessible as read only , but I can copy everything from disk to any place I want, writing to disk is still not possible. I think the problem is on APPLE APFS and file permission, security, too much and the result is not mounted disk and unreachable disk. Regards. JACEK from Poland. BTW in Apple store they try to connect disk to an older system and it was not visible, they say it is broken - maybe, I look forward to solving this problem by Apple.

Please, distribute this message everywhere you can, because Apple is not worried about it yet, and he knows that if you want to upgrade your original 128GB SSD drive in MacBookAir, you should have High Sierra 10.13.5 otherwise the new one SSD 1TB drive is invisible because of new EFI.

WD My Passport Format Problem (High Sierra)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.