Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Keypad Wears Out

I have had a new MacBook Pro for about 6 months and I have almost worn through my control and option keys. Significant parts of the black have worn off. I have had computers since 1980 and I have never seen this happen before. What gives?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), iOS 11.0.3, Purchased New

Posted on Nov 3, 2017 9:18 AM

7 replies

Nov 3, 2017 12:49 PM in response to TimC1959

You have two choices, get it repaired or not. You appear to not be happy with the get it repaired option. There is no conspiracy to use defective parts in order to increase profits as you insinuate.

Given your level of reluctance to spend the time to get the computer fixed I can only guess that your time is worth more than the effort it will take you to get the repair done. If this is the case maybe you should get a second computer so that your time is not disrupted when repairs are needed. Parts break, it does not matter how much you paid for the item.

My expensive boat in your example may have a component fail prematurely and yes I would not be happy. But I would be thankful that it could be repaired. New cars break or get recalled for component failures. It happens.

Get your computer repaired or don't and use it as is. Complaining here about a conspiracy is not helping you get satisfaction. You could provide feedback to Apple if you are not happy with the product: Product Feedback - Apple

Nov 3, 2017 10:16 AM in response to kaz-k

What irritates me is that now I have to waste hours of my life getting a defective keypad replaced when this $900 billion company could have just provided a quality one in the first place. What a deal, I get to spend hours of my life getting a part replaced for "free" just so that Apple can show higher margins and insiders can make more on the stock. Doesn't anyone else feel ripped off? I suspect most of the people on this site are like me -- we've owned every many Apple products, iPods, Macs, MacBooks, iPhones, Apple TVs, etc. And this is what I get in return for my loyalty -- a piece of garbage.

Nov 3, 2017 2:15 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Good points, but take a step back: How many computers in your life have had a keyboard wear out ever, not to mention in six months? Answer: zero. It is unheard of. So, some group at Apple decided to make a change. Why would they make such a change, attempting to fix a problem that doesn't exist? Economics, what else? There is no other reason to cheapen a product. Now, Apple is sitting on $268 billion in cash. I am not suggesting a conspiracy; I am suggesting the profit motive has taken the front seat, one way or the other. They could have spent a few extra bucks making a quality product. Instead, they decided to put it on the backs of their loyal consumers, like me, who will continue to buy their products. As an employee, you hopefully can see this side of the story.

Nov 3, 2017 6:00 PM in response to TimC1959

I understand why you are upset but I don't see how you can make the leap to Apple using inferior parts. If the keys were made of inferior parts then your problem would be widespread and this community would be lit up with complaints like yours. Rather than being a systemic problem it may be you were unlucky enough to get a keyboard from a bad batch, but even this seems unlikely to me, but I guess it is possible.

Get your keyboard repaired and provide Apple feedback at the link I provided. There isn't much else you can do.

MacBook Pro Keypad Wears Out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.