Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I disable live photo in imessage? Every time i am taking a photo while in a message it defaults to a live photo. This is frustrating.

iPhone 7, iOS 11.1

I already tried turning off Live Photo from the camera app then in the Preserve settings.

Posted on Nov 3, 2017 8:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2017 8:44 AM

I figured it out, in your iMessage window, hit the camera icon to take a photo, then hit the “camera” button on the left to bring up the full camera within iMessage, turn off the live photo setting there and it should remain off

10 replies

Nov 4, 2017 4:38 PM in response to Espresso116

Greetings, Espresso116.

I see that you don't want to use the Live Photos feature while taking a picture from the Messages application on your iPhone 7. You've turned that feature off in the Camera application and also under "Preserve Settings", but the Camera in Messages still shows you're taking a Live Photo. I'm happy to help.

Take and edit Live Photos -- Open the Camera application and make sure that it's set to Photo mode, then check Settings > Camera and be sure that "Preserved Settings" in engaged. Force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch -- Next, close the Camera and Settings applications and -- Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch -- Once your iPhone has returned to the Home screen, open the Camera application and Settings, check that they're still engaged, then test the issue.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch -- If restarting your phone didn't resolve the issue, please be sure to have a fresh backup to keep your personal information safe. In order to back up your Health data, the backup needs to be encrypted. iCloud does this automatically, but iTunes doesn't. If you'd like to use iTunes to back up your phone, refer to this article: About encrypted backups in iTunes

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch -- Even though the title of the article isn't specific to your issue, the section titled "Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again" will walk you through all the steps to reinstall the iOS software on your device. Test the issue once your phone has returned to the Home screen.

Let me know how that goes.

Take care!

Nov 29, 2017 8:36 AM in response to AppleJoe

Hi Joe,

I have exactly the same problem. I can turn off Live Photo in the camera app and retain that setting by using the preserved settings for Live Photo option. The camera app works fine and Live Photo remains disabled by default, also after rebooting the phone (multiple times now).

However, the iMessage app doesn't follow the camera app settings and keeps Live Photo enabled no matter what I do. As mentioned I followed your process and rebooted the phone multiple times now.

Really frustrating, do you have some additional guidance on how to solve this particular issue.

Kind regards,

Ruud

How do I disable live photo in imessage? Every time i am taking a photo while in a message it defaults to a live photo. This is frustrating.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.