Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Face ID is Not Available?

I keep getting the same "Face ID is Not Available" whenever I try to setup Face ID on my iPhone X. It worked the first time I setup the phone out of the box but after the update to iOS 11.1 I can no longer setup Face ID. Anyone know what might be wrong?

User uploaded file

Posted on Nov 4, 2017 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2017 9:20 AM

Hello Nard.Dog,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that after updating your iPhone X to 11.1 you can no longer set up Face ID. The following article has steps which may help resolve this type of issue:

Get help with Face ID on your iPhone X - Apple Support

Best Regards.
12 replies

Dec 24, 2017 4:07 AM in response to ailikesiliu

I have had the same issue but Apple Support were dismissive and refused to replace the phone as they did for others here. I then managed to fix the problem by reinstalling iOS via Tunes, although the problem has now popped up again one month later after I let the battery run flat. If they know there is an issue they should just replace the phone without being cagey and forcing me to send my phone in first for the sake of some process. I’m more shocked at the lack of support for a $1300 phone than a hardware fault..

Nov 20, 2017 8:45 PM in response to Nard.Dog

to anyone who has the same problem, your phone needs to be replaced, it is a hardware issue. /thread

finally got my iphone x today after more than a month of waiting after the phone got stuck in korea for 3 days for no reason, out of the box, boom, face id is not available. called apple support, they admit it is a hardware problem and replacement phone is on it's way. tbh I am kinda used to apple's quality control nowadays, battery was defect for my iphone 5, front facing camera was mis-aligned on my iphone 6, been using android after that, finally decided to come back to ios and give x a try, o boy was I right. what would you expect on an iphone x? of course there is going to be something wrong with it. haha. good job apple!

Face ID is Not Available?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.