Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is your iPhone X Tru Tone display too warm?

Turning on Tru Tone makes all white pages yellow. About 2/3 of the way to the yellow that night shift gives. I ended up turning it off. I have to admit, that on my iPad Pro 9.7, the Tru Tone Display is my favorite feature. However, on the iPhone X, in order to get a true white I have to tilt the phone away from me to induce the color shift that occurs with the OLED screen when viewing at off angles. Very disappointing.

iPhone X, iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 4, 2017 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2017 3:47 PM

See especially the third paragraph under "OLED Technology" here:

About the Super Retina display on your iPhone X - Apple Support

6 replies

Nov 13, 2017 9:26 AM in response to SteveR1960

Same situation for me. I love True Tone on iPad Pro, but something is off with the calibration of the iPhone X. It is distractingly warm. Unlike Night Shift, it shouldn't be something you notice, as the point is not to warm the screen to avoid blue light, but to create a white that mimics what white paper would look like in your current environment to give the screen a natural, less computery feel. Hopefully will be adjusted with a software update.

Nov 27, 2017 8:26 PM in response to sberman

This is not a particularly helpful response. The poster already understood the OLED color shift, and was saying that he has to induce it just to get a realistic white.

I agree. My iPhone X is also way too warm with True Tone turned on. It definitely does not match the light in the room I’m in. If I hold a white sheet of paper beside the phone, the paper looks white and the phone looks yellow.

I’ve used several iPhone X units, some of them at length, and I have to mention that there seems to be a great amount of variability in the displays. (It’s always been thus, but I was expecting more with the OLED hype and expense.) Most are a little too warm, but one I used was just about right. Unfortunately that one had slight bands of discoloration at the left and right of the screen.

This is also very common, actually. Most of the units I have examined do not have a perfectly even white colour across the screen. Most have an area a couple of millimeters wide at the left and right that’s slightly cooler or slightly warmer than the rest of the screen. You really have too look closely to see it; it’s most noticeable in apps with a white background and text that goes right to the edges, like Mail, or a news article in Safari. Zoom way into the text and pan left and right and you can see the background “white” colour changes at the edges. Out of about 20 phones I’ve examined (some I’ve used extensively, others just in the store), I’ve only seen two that didn’t have this characteristic at all, and only about five where it was minor enough that it didn’t bug me much.

Anyway, I’m currently a proud owner of a unit with out the colour bands at the sides, but the display is annoyingly warm. I’m trying to decide which bugs me more, but I too hope for a software tweak to make True Tone more accurate.

Nov 28, 2017 5:53 AM in response to chcn

I should add that it’s better in some lights than others. When I wrote the comment about it being way too warm I was in my home office that has daylight-coloured fluorescent lighting (6500K). True Tone just doesn’t seem to sense that correctly or know how to cope. (My other office seems to confuse it too, with a mix of natural sunlight from the windows and overhead fluorescents that I would guess are 4000K. There the display seemed too warm too.)

However, when I take it into the living area of my house that’s lit with all 4000K LEDs, the phone does much better.

I’m happy there is a quick shutoff for True Tone in the control centre, but I would welcome the ability to do True Tone fine tuning, similar to the night shift setting.

Is your iPhone X Tru Tone display too warm?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.