Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X message search problem?

I know the iMessages search function was never any good, but now since switching to iPhone X any letter or word entered turns up 0 search results. Anyone else have this problem and know a fix?

No results show up in the homescreen search either now.

Posted on Nov 5, 2017 4:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2017 11:17 AM

Hello Michael,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Community and congrats on your new iPhone X. I understand you're having some trouble searching on your iPhone , and I have some information that may help.

If you have not already, it's always a good idea to restart your phone as described in the article below:
Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, you may want to backup your iPhone and reinstall the latest version of iOS11 using the steps below.
How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support
If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  3. While your device is connected, force restart it with these steps:
    • On an iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the recovery-mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Side and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery-mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery-mode screen.
      User uploaded file
  4. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits recovery mode, let the download finish, then repeat these steps.
    User uploaded file
  5. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device.

Get more help

If you can’t update or restore your device with recovery mode, or you can't use recovery mode because of broken buttons, contact Apple Support.

If you run into any trouble, please reach out again.
​Best Regards.
17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2017 11:17 AM in response to Michael Lovett2

Hello Michael,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Community and congrats on your new iPhone X. I understand you're having some trouble searching on your iPhone , and I have some information that may help.

If you have not already, it's always a good idea to restart your phone as described in the article below:
Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, you may want to backup your iPhone and reinstall the latest version of iOS11 using the steps below.
How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support
If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  3. While your device is connected, force restart it with these steps:
    • On an iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the recovery-mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Side and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery-mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery-mode screen.
      User uploaded file
  4. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits recovery mode, let the download finish, then repeat these steps.
    User uploaded file
  5. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device.

Get more help

If you can’t update or restore your device with recovery mode, or you can't use recovery mode because of broken buttons, contact Apple Support.

If you run into any trouble, please reach out again.
​Best Regards.

Nov 6, 2017 2:31 PM in response to rose_10

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your reply, however upon trying all your suggestions the search function still does not work, although it does however seem to search now basic words - but not all, and only from in the last 4 texts in my inbox... Do you have any other suggestions? Or do you reckon this is just a general bug that should get ironed out over next ios update?

Regards,

Justin

Dec 21, 2017 7:36 AM in response to Michael Lovett2

I had this problem also when I upgraded to another phone. All text messages were there in the iTunes backup - just would not allow me to search.... lots of trying to figure this out ( all suggestions here) and finally I cracked it.

If you wipe out your old phone that still uses the same text messages ( which probably has the search working).....the it works as soon as the old phone is reset to factory settings

This is a minor bug that Apple needs to fix!

Now the search function works perfectly on the new iPhone!!

( just make sure everything is backed up 100%)

iPhone X message search problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.