Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search in notes app doesn’t work...

I was able to search my notes from the notes app and spotlight search on my iPhone 6. I upgraded to the iPhone X and transferred my notes to the new phone and now it no longer works. Search doesn’t find notes I know are there.

I tried turning search on and off and rebooting the phone. That didn’t work. Anyone know the fix?

Posted on Nov 5, 2017 7:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 4:04 PM

Hey Darthkt,

I think you are right about the index, but I was able to fix mine.

- I

moved the notes on my iPhone to iCloud.

- Turned off my phone (reboot)

- Then, turned it back on and moved the notes from iCloud back to my iPhone.

Searching notes works now.

Good luck!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2017 4:04 PM in response to darthkt

Hey Darthkt,

I think you are right about the index, but I was able to fix mine.

- I

moved the notes on my iPhone to iCloud.

- Turned off my phone (reboot)

- Then, turned it back on and moved the notes from iCloud back to my iPhone.

Searching notes works now.

Good luck!

Nov 6, 2017 12:22 PM in response to DjSpy

Hello DjSpy,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that you are not able to search for your Notes on your new iPhone X. Make sure Notes is selected in the search settings as suggested below:

Use Search on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Change search settings

Go to Settings > Siri & Search.

From here, you can turn Siri & Search Suggestions on or off and choose which apps to include in your searches. For example, if you don’t want to see search results from your Messages app, you can deselect Messages. If you deselect search for an app, it will also hide the app from search results. If you type the full name of the app, you'll still see a search result for the app.

If you don’t want Siri & Search to suggest nearby locations, go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services, and tap Siri & Dictation. Under Allow Location Access, tap Never. Find out where you can use Suggestions in Search.

Best Regards.

Nov 6, 2017 3:35 PM in response to jeremy_v

Thanks for the response.

I tried that prior to submitting my question and again now. It didn’t work. If I create a new note, it can find it, but any notes that were created before I bought the iPhone X it isn’t able to find - even though they are on my phone.

I’ve had an iPhone since the beginning and consider myself pretty tech savvy. I think this is a bigger problem with the new OS 11 not reading older files.

Nov 11, 2017 2:27 PM in response to DjSpy

I also have problems with Notes search. This is from the Notes app, not the system-level search. If I tap on a note, then search for a word from it, the search will work. But notes that are untapped seem un-indexed. It seems like the index is corrupt.

Weirdly, I can successfully search from the iPad, but the iPhone search fails in terms of searching for things that are clearly in there.

Search in notes app doesn’t work...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.