Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unexpected unknown user account

On my iMac I never had a Guest User account. To day I find a guest user account selected in the login window and more strange another user account with the same gray picture of the guest and the Label "Altro" ("Other" in Italian the local language).

No problem to remove the Guest but I find no way to remove the "Altro". He is only to be found in the login window, not in the System Preferences for Users and Groups and not in the quick user change dropdown.

Nobody has acces to my Mac.

I would like to understand how this started.

May be a software named Tri-Backup which launches a scheduled copy action betwinn folders at each boot ?

Thanks for your opinion.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), 4 gHz i7 - 16GB

Posted on Nov 5, 2017 11:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2017 6:39 AM

See this article also macOS Sierra: Erase and reinstall macOS

Also second method enter in single user mode or verbose mode Start up your Mac in single-user mode or verbose mode - Apple Support

Then in root user account How to enable the root user on your Mac - Apple Support

And delete the unwanted account ( but before performing this step take second opinion from apple support senior advisors ) .

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2017 6:39 AM in response to WALTER-MILANO-ITALY

See this article also macOS Sierra: Erase and reinstall macOS

Also second method enter in single user mode or verbose mode Start up your Mac in single-user mode or verbose mode - Apple Support

Then in root user account How to enable the root user on your Mac - Apple Support

And delete the unwanted account ( but before performing this step take second opinion from apple support senior advisors ) .

Nov 8, 2017 6:15 AM in response to tygb

I purchased this iMac about 2 years ago only for myself. I use Migration Assistant since year 2004 to move my sister and data from each Mac to the newone. There was at least one old Account deleted (also deleting the content).

I believe this new account happened with High Sierra installation.

I tried to remove this Ghost User named Altro... (Other...) without success with Terminal following the suggestion of another source.User uploaded file

Now I will follow your suggestion and reinstall High Sierra.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will let you know.

unexpected unknown user account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.