Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

quicktime/fcpx issue with high sierra

since i upgraded on high sierra, i have serios troubles on my imac late 2012.

quicktime won't play avchd-videos anymore and fcpx won't import them.

quicktime error: "The document BDMV could not be opened", fcpx starts to import but stops after a while.

vlc player has no problem with the files.

tried another user on the imac, same problem.

started in safe mode, same problem.

any help here?

edit: camera is sony hdr-ax 2000

Posted on Nov 6, 2017 12:45 AM

10 replies

Nov 6, 2017 5:44 AM in response to Wolfgang Matzl

since i upgraded on high sierra, i have serios troubles on my imac late 2012.

quicktime won't play avchd-videos anymore and fcpx won't import them.

quicktime error: "The document BDMV could not be opened", fcpx starts to import but stops after a while.

vlc player has no problem with the files.

tried another user on the imac, same problem.

started in safe mode, same problem.

any help here?

You may wish to advise Apple of this issue in a QuickTime Feedback Report (and/or Developer Bug Report). At least one other user has reported that AVCHD (MTS) files do not play on his older Mac platform under High Sierra but do play correctly on newer late 2013 Mac Pro. Not sure if this issue is related to older platform hardware or general lack of sufficient CPU power to handle more complex content at full encoded resolution.

edit: camera is sony hdr-ax 2000

Can you post a short sample camcorder file for comparison testing?

User uploaded file

Nov 6, 2017 7:52 AM in response to Wolfgang Matzl

maybe apple will fix the issue, maybe not, who knows.

a sample of the camera:

Dropbox - Sony HDR-AX2000 AVCHD

Thanks for the speedy response and the sample file. If you have the latest version of Subler available, believe I have hound a temporary workaround. It appears the QTX pre-load verification check is causing the problem. It doesn't seem to like AVC video with mono, 2-channel, or stereo AC3 in certain file container types—e.g., MTS. However, if I drag-n'-drop your MTS file a new Subler window, I can tell the app to copy the video "as is" to a new M4V (or MP4) file container along with the AC3 audio transcoded to AAC which then opens normally in High Sierra QTX. (NOTE: If you create an AVC/AAC/AC3 M4V file, the video won't open implying it's the stereo AC3 audio the verification check doesn't like.) In any case, have created an M4V file from your upload and posted it for testing on your system in case your are interested in using this workflow as a workaround until/if Apple decides to fix this "error trap" issue.)

http://downloads.walker4.me/Downloads_files/00000.m4v

User uploaded file

Nov 6, 2017 8:29 AM in response to Wolfgang Matzl

thanks for the help, but it didn't work…

the mp4 doesn't play with quicktime, either. vlc-player does…

Strange! The MTS file doesn't play natively on my system but I made a screen capture of the M4V file playing simultaneously in both QT7 and QTX media players—albeit at reduced playback resolution to fit both on screen and some frame skipping due to dual 21+ Mbps video data rates.

http://downloads.walker4.me/Downloads_files/ScreenFlow.mp4

User uploaded file

Nov 6, 2017 8:57 AM in response to Wolfgang Matzl

i also tried another workaroud, i converted the avchd with pavtube converter to prores, which i imported in fcpx. it worked, but unfortunately the video (about an hour) was then a few seconds longer, so i can't synchronize with the audio-file (i make concert-movies, i use the sound from the mixer).

Assume timing difference is due to conversion of the video content and not an audio conversion/remixing latency issue. I used the Subler passthrough of the original AVCHD video track data so it would remain unmodified.

User uploaded file

Nov 6, 2017 7:06 AM in response to Jon Walker

I called apple-support, bad news…

my camera is not on the list of tested sony-cameras. bad luck for me, fcpx, imovie and quicktime can't handle the files. my whole archive raw material of the last years - lots of terabyte - can't be used with newer macs. phew…

Cameras supported by Final Cut Pro X - Apple Support

maybe apple will fix the issue, maybe not, who knows.

a sample of the camera:

Dropbox - Sony HDR-AX2000 AVCHD

edit: how funny, i can play the video in the browser… but not with quicktime on the mac.

Nov 6, 2017 8:04 AM in response to Jon Walker

thanks for the help, but it didn't work…
the mp4 doesn't play with quicktime, either. vlc-player does…

i also tried another workaroud, i converted the avchd with pavtube converter to prores, which i imported in fcpx. it worked, but unfortunately the video (about an hour) was then a few seconds longer, so i can't synchronize with the audio-file (i make concert-movies, i use the sound from the mixer).

Nov 6, 2017 9:45 AM in response to Jon Walker

yes, strange issue… fortunately my macbok pro has successfully downgraded to os sierra, as high sierra nearly damaged my internal disk… high sierra, i i think we won't get friends too soon…

so i use my mbpro for my final cut projects, a little bit slower but hey, it works! maybe the next update of high sierra will fix the problem with the sony-cam.

Nov 26, 2017 1:28 AM in response to Wolfgang Matzl

I have the same problem trying to open them in Quicktime 10.4, but I'm pretty sure it's a bug with High Sierra and not the "unsupported camera" company line. Two reasons:

- when I first set up my new 2017 iMac I used migration assistant after setting up the primary account so I was stuck with two accounts, the second being the restored one with my old stuff under a new username but the first account having the same username as previously. Quicktime opened the AVCHD files in High Sierra under the first account, but gave the "The document BDMV could not be opened" error under the second account. I then decided to do a clean install of High Sierra so that I could migrate my old stuff during installation and have only one account under the original username. That all worked fine but unfortunately now I can't open the AVCHD files at all.

- I can see the video thumbs in the Quicktime clip viewer just fine.

BTW the video files are all on an external drive. When Quicktime opened them OK under the original username the first time, I figured it was some sort of file path issue, but now I've re-installed and there is only one account (with the original username) all the file paths should be the same as before but... no luck.

Unfortunately I don't recall if I tried opening the videos under High Sierra on my old (dead) machine.

Dec 4, 2017 11:56 PM in response to Wolfgang Matzl

I have the same issue. Camera is a JVC Everio GZ-HM200NE

Worked perfectly with Sierra, not working anymore with High Sierra. FCPX reports an import error, then you can play the clip but no sound.

iMovie imports the clip without an error, but no sound. Quicktime shows the clip but the same error message that you mentioned.

VLC plays the file. Was able to convert the files with "WonTube Free Video Converter", which I found on the AppStore.

Hope we will get a fix.

quicktime/fcpx issue with high sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.