Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot open RAW (Canon .CR2) pics in Photos. I get a triangle-! caution window where the pic should be. How to get the pictures to open?

I cannot open RAW (Canon .CR2) pics in Photos. The pics imported into Photos, and I moved them to a new folder. I get a triangle-! caution window where the pic should be when I double click the pic. Within the "Image" menu, the two RAW selections are grey-ed out. How can I get them to open? Do I need to convert them somehow into a different format?

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.5), Epson WF-4630

Posted on Nov 6, 2017 7:22 AM

12 replies

Nov 6, 2017 12:47 PM in response to crnkyplyr

Now I am on High Sierra 10.13.1 with the RAW images from a new Canon 6D Mark II...I found the High Sierra update.

The images now open fuzzily in the background behind the triangle-! caution window. I'll keep fooling with it to see what I can find out about what's going on and report back later.

I had a couple of pics import vertically instead of the horizontal landscape presentation; I cannot get them to rotate.

Dave

Nov 7, 2017 7:54 AM in response to crnkyplyr

I know not where the problem lies, reference above.

I deleted all the .CR2 images that I imported into Photos when using Sierra v.10.12.6. I now, with High Sierra v.10.13.1, cannot import a .CR2 image taken with the Canon 6D Mark II. I tried a couple of new pictures.... I was able to import a .CR2 pic from a Canon 60D, but not from the 6D Mark II.

When attempting the import, the progress bar at the top of the Import screen shows movement and the numbers of pictures being imported counts up to the total. But, the pictures do not populate in the Library.

JPEG images import without problem. The .CR2 images open correctly in Canon's Digital Photo Professional 4 software.

Nov 7, 2017 9:25 AM in response to crnkyplyr

So, here's the latest.

The Apple guys, Zach and Paris, were most helpful and spent probably an hour looking at my issue as noted above. The result was to determine that the problem was with Canon because we were not able to import a .CR2 image from the Canon 6D Mark II even with the Image Capture app. I was referred to Canon for further investigation.

The call to Canon was short. Wasn't their problem, said Ramon; the issue was with Apple's software. To summarize that conversation...the camera companies do not give a helping hand to the software companies. It's up to Apple, in this case, to reverse engineer the camera's software to be able to import each type of file. The issue will work its way out in time. Ramon would document my issue to Canon's engineers for review.

I did verify that my camera was operating with the current firmware.

Nov 8, 2017 2:42 PM in response to Keith Barkley

Thank you, Keith, but here's what I see listed under the "Kind" of file column when read off my SD card by Apple Finder: "CRAW2." This particular one is sized at 19.5 MB. The file extension is ".CR2." I likely shot the pics in the Small RAW mode because, being a novice, experimenting, tourist-type photographer, I was being miserly about my file sizes. If Apple cannot handle Small RAW, then that is likely the problem. But, on the other hand, it seems to work when taken with the 60D camera.

Yesterday, I responded to Canon's follow-up survey re: my service call. I got a nice reply from them, and which also pointed me to a camera firmware update apparently released today (11/08/17). I'll load that tomorrow.

I have an email from Apple asking for a survey response about my service call to them. I'll do that tomorrow, also, after I complete the firmware update and try to load some new images to see what happens.

Gotta go for now; my lady friend has arrived...and I have not yet started her dinner....

Thanks for the interest and the help.

I cannot open RAW (Canon .CR2) pics in Photos. I get a triangle-! caution window where the pic should be. How to get the pictures to open?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.