Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot process "creating corpses"

I have a fairly new iMac (bought last year) which was recently upgraded to 10.13.1. I shut it off last night with no problems.

This morning, the boot was slow and did not finish since the scroll bar under the Apple logo was all white and just sat there. I turned on the "verbose" mode and noticed that after a lot of information flashed by, it slowed down and then started with: "Process[198]crashed: opendirectoryd. Too many corpses being created". Then it started incrementing the process numbers and I aborted around 230.

Maybe Apple should revisit their messaging ( it is rather morbid) but that aside, I started Googling for a fix. I tried some suggestions which I found (not necessarily in that order) :

- Reset PRAM

- Checked the drive in Recovery Mode - Disk Utility and First Aid found nothing.

- Hardware diagnostics (passed)

- Running fsck -fy(passed) - no messages about system being modified.

- Safe mode boot (never kicks in)

- I reinstalled HighSierra and it did not take - same problem.

- Target mode launched but there is nothing on that box I want - it is primarily a test machine so I just want it to run.

- The last updates were installed few days ago and it was the new one for iMovie and to bring it up to 10.13.1which I installed separately.

I got the above diagnostic suggestions from other posts with previous versions of the OS and not High Sierra so I thought I would post in case there is something new.

Has anyone experienced it recently?

Thank you in advance,

Jack.

P.S. As I was typing this, the second attempt at a reinstall finished and still the same problem. I will see if it will roll back to a previous OS with Internet Recovery next.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2015), macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 6, 2017 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2017 6:45 AM

You can download Sierra, but short of using Internet Recovery to install the shipping OS, I don't know how you would get Sierra if you cannot boot.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202

To install the original shipping OS (or the closest to it that is still available), use cmd-opt-shift-R on restart. You would have to use Disk Utility to erase the entire hard drive, not just the Macintosh HD volume.

About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

If you are successful in installing a previous OS, download Sierra from the above link.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2017 6:45 AM in response to DeeRech

You can download Sierra, but short of using Internet Recovery to install the shipping OS, I don't know how you would get Sierra if you cannot boot.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202

To install the original shipping OS (or the closest to it that is still available), use cmd-opt-shift-R on restart. You would have to use Disk Utility to erase the entire hard drive, not just the Macintosh HD volume.

About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

If you are successful in installing a previous OS, download Sierra from the above link.

Dec 25, 2017 6:30 PM in response to Husar1683

I also have this problem, and have tried many of the suggestions posted on similar lines except a complete rebuild of the iMac (which I’m not enthusiastic about as not knowing the root cause may result in the same issue occurring).

As there are obviously many others with the same problem after a recent upgrade, can some internal Apple engineer expert summarise what may be causing this and a diagnostic path to rectify the bug. Otherwise the iMac seems to be a brick :)

Boot process "creating corpses"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.