Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.12.6 Combo Update

I've got 10.12.6 on my machine and want to run the 10.12.6 Combo Updater over it. I had assumed this can be done.

However, I get as far as the 'Destination Select' part of the installation process and find the HD has a yellow warning triangle attached. The warning is "macOS Sierra Update can't be installed on this disk. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update".

This is very unexpected and very cryptic.

Can anyone explain why "this volume does not meet the requirements for this update"?

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Nov 7, 2017 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2017 1:11 AM

That is unusual since the combo updater should run on any version of Sierra. The only thing you might try is:

Possible Fixes to El Capitan or Later

[You should try each, one at a time, then test to see if the problem is fixed before going on to the next.]

Be sure to backup your files before proceeding if possible.

1. Shutdown the computer and wait 30 seconds. Restart the computer.
  2. Resetting your Mac’s PRAM and NVRAM
  3. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)
  4. Start the computer in Safe Mode, then restart normally. This is slower than a standard startup.
  5. Repair the disk by booting from the Recovery HD. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears. Choose Disk Utility and click on the Continue button. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volumeentry from the side list. Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait for the Done button to appear. Quit Disk Utility and returnto the Utility Menu. Restart the computer from the Apple Menu.
  6. Create a New User Account Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and enter your Admin password when prompted. On the left under Current User click on the Add [+] button below Login Options. Setup a new Admin user account. Upon completion log out of your current account then log into the new account. If your problems cease, then consider switching to the new account and transferring your files to it - Transferring files from one User Account to another.
  7. Install Combo Updater Download OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 Combo Update or Download macOS Sierra 10.12.5 Combo Update and install.
  8. Reinstall OS X by booting from the Recovery HD using the Command and R keys. When the Utility Menu appears select Reinstall OS X then click on the Continue button.
  9. Erase and Install OS X Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the CommandandRkeys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:
  1. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  2. When Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry) from the Device list.
  3. Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  4. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  5. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  6. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  7. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.
37 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2017 1:11 AM in response to Rod Fryer

That is unusual since the combo updater should run on any version of Sierra. The only thing you might try is:

Possible Fixes to El Capitan or Later

[You should try each, one at a time, then test to see if the problem is fixed before going on to the next.]

Be sure to backup your files before proceeding if possible.

1. Shutdown the computer and wait 30 seconds. Restart the computer.
  2. Resetting your Mac’s PRAM and NVRAM
  3. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)
  4. Start the computer in Safe Mode, then restart normally. This is slower than a standard startup.
  5. Repair the disk by booting from the Recovery HD. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears. Choose Disk Utility and click on the Continue button. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volumeentry from the side list. Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait for the Done button to appear. Quit Disk Utility and returnto the Utility Menu. Restart the computer from the Apple Menu.
  6. Create a New User Account Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and enter your Admin password when prompted. On the left under Current User click on the Add [+] button below Login Options. Setup a new Admin user account. Upon completion log out of your current account then log into the new account. If your problems cease, then consider switching to the new account and transferring your files to it - Transferring files from one User Account to another.
  7. Install Combo Updater Download OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 Combo Update or Download macOS Sierra 10.12.5 Combo Update and install.
  8. Reinstall OS X by booting from the Recovery HD using the Command and R keys. When the Utility Menu appears select Reinstall OS X then click on the Continue button.
  9. Erase and Install OS X Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the CommandandRkeys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:
  1. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  2. When Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry) from the Device list.
  3. Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  4. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  5. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  6. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  7. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Nov 8, 2017 1:08 AM in response to Rod Fryer

If you previously installed Security Update 2017-001; then that's expected, at the moment. The installer script checks for a build version of 16G29 or older; but after 2017-001, you'll be on 16G1036.

Perhaps Apple will eventually refresh the combo package to reflect recent changes.

To quickly see your build version : click on the Apple icon, top left of the screen, then About this Mac; now click where it says Version 10.12.6

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Nov 7, 2017 12:40 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy, I have now re-downloaded the combo updater using the link you provided, as per your suggestion. Same result.

Am I doing it properly? I just double-click the macosupdcombo10.12.6.dmg file, then the file called macOSUpdCombo10.12.6.pkg (found bin the macOS Sierra Update volume.

As far as I can recall that's the way I did this sort of thing years ago with the Tiger combo updates. No need to do it from a connected drive?

Nov 8, 2017 3:01 AM in response to Rod Fryer

After just looking at the El Capitan 10.11.6 combo package, originally released in July 2016; and which (to judge from the included scripts), similarly won't install if Security Update 2016-001 or later (seven more since that one) has been installed... I think you could be waiting a long time.

Recovery & Reinstall seems to be the Apple way now.

Nov 8, 2017 3:07 PM in response to PN2

Well, thanks for the info anyway, and your help. It blocks off the 10.12.6 route for further investigation it seems, eh?

I've been in touch with Canon and the Disketch people (NCH Software) also. Those lines of enquiry are still open.

Slightly irritatingly, this morning I got an alert for an update via the App Store - 'Canon Inkjet Printer Software Update', version 3.4. Having downloaded and installed it the problem remains.

If it ever gets resolved, I will post here with the news and how it happened.

Nov 9, 2017 12:27 AM in response to PN2

PN2 wrote:

What had you hoped to resolve with the combo update : some problem with Disketch ?.

I'm sort of flailing around, being an amateur in these matters. Disketch did work in early May. Now, for some reason it doesn't. I don't know if it's a problem with Disketch itself, or the current version of macos, or something to do with the printer.

NCH support have offered a diagnostic suggestion that I'll try today.

Canon still have to suggest something.

Nov 9, 2017 10:48 AM in response to PN2

I've had a reply from Disketch. They had me download and install a diagnostic version of the software. The advice /instructions were to it run a couple of times, same as I had with the version I'd been using, then go to a Trace folder included with the diagnostic version and send them the text files found there.

Awaiting a reply.

I must say this is refreshing. Better than "it must be your router/OS/printer … we've not heard about this problem before etc."

I'll keep you posted.

My wife has a machine identical to mine. I tried printing wirelessly to a CD with hers. Same problem.

Nov 13, 2017 9:07 AM in response to Lexiepex

I must thank you all for your patience and help offered, but … I seem to have stumbled across a solution to this problem.

It’s nothing to do with Disketch.app. I didn’t understand how it could have been so.

I found the ‘solution’, which I don’t really understand, in a post on forum dated December 2014 on the BeLight Software site, after desperately Googling the problem. I'd already visited that site once but gave it a second go for some reason - grabbing at straws.

Here's the post I

(by mcaswell) I noticed that when I looked at the printer in the Printers & Scanners PrefPane, it listed "Kind: Canon MG7500 series-AirPrint". It occurred to me that perhaps my Mac was using a simplified AirPrint driver (intended for printing from iPads, etc.), which could explain why the CD print option was not there (since presumably no one would be printing CDs from their iOS device).

I deleted the printer, and then downloaded/installed the drivers from Canon's site (not sure if this step was necessary or not... the drivers may have already been there as part of the OS, but just not utilized). When I clicked on the + sign to re-add it, I selected it from the Nearby Printers list that pops up under the + sign, and noticed that it again was using the AirPrint driver.

I again deleted it, but this time when I added it, I didn't use the Nearby Printers list, instead choosing Add Printer or Scanner. It again chose the AirPrint driver, but I was able to select the correct driver (Canon MG7500 series) in the "Use:" pop-up menu.

Once I did this, I was able to print CDs wirelessly.

Yeah. Me too! I had never noticed a 'Nearby Printers list' previously, btw.

I had also, before the above, downloaded and reinstalled the latest available Canon driver for my printer. It was exactly the same version as had been previously installed. It had made no difference.

10.12.6 Combo Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.