Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X lens fog

Long story short...

Took my iPhone X into a swimming pool for 5 mins to mess about and take some photos, it went a few inches underwater for about 10 seconds, now both lenses have been fogged up for a few days now, sometimes the top lens clears but the bottom lens remains foggy.

Had a 7+ before and used it in the exact same situation and that was absolutely fine.

Don’t have an Apple store near me so anyone know of any quick possible solutions?

Posted on Nov 7, 2017 1:47 PM

7 replies

Nov 8, 2017 8:37 AM in response to BigAirMedia

Hello BigAirMedia,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding that after using your iPhone X in a swimming pool, photos appear foggy. I can surely see how this would be concerning, especially with a new iPhone. I'm happy to help.

The iPhone X is splash, water, and dust resistant. To prevent liquid damage it is best to avoid swimming and bathing with your iPhone. Please review the additional information in the link below:
Important handling information - iPhone User Guide

Please contact Apple Support for further assistance with this issue.
Contact Apple Support

Cheers!

Nov 8, 2017 8:47 AM in response to BigAirMedia

That was a REALLY BAD IDEA. iPhone X is water resistant, NOT WATERPROOF. If you did this with your iPhone 7+ you were VERY lucky you didn't suffer damage. You should make an appointment at your Apple Store Genius Bar, but be advised that if you didn't buy AppleCare+ when you got your phone, water damage is not covered under the warranty and the out of warranty replacement cost is VERY high.

Nov 8, 2017 11:37 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Wrong. They are water resistant to a depth of 1 metre for up to 30 mins. So taking it in a pool for some fun and having it a few inches underwater for 10 seconds shouldn’t of done any harm. Same with my 7+, I had that in a pool multiple times and so did others and no issues so I wasn’t lucky it didn’t break. It shouldn’t be any problem using them for holiday pics in the pool.

My girlfriend had her iPhone X in the pool the same as I did and that has been fine.

Nov 8, 2017 11:56 AM in response to BigAirMedia

Yes, but you have to add "in laboratory conditions." I have many high end Swiss mechanical watches also listed as water resistant, but I would never submerge them.

I'm glad you have 3rd party insurance. Maybe nothing will go wrong with you in the short term, but you won't know if water got into the electronics on your phone until things start to corrode and the phone stops working.

iPhone X lens fog

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.