Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mdworkers in High Sierra

Hi!

I just updated to High Sierra 10.13.1 from El Capitan.

In general everything OK, and I would say that even better than in El Capitan. However I've noticed that the msworkers are sometime from time to time firing up to much. I don't know if this is normal in the beginning (I finish the install yesterday) or this is something the OS do normally or it's just a high sierra bug in this version.

Thanks!

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), 2.5 GHz i7 16GB 1TB SSD

Posted on Nov 8, 2017 4:54 AM

9 replies

Nov 8, 2017 9:18 PM in response to John Galt

I think that it's been like two days since I've installed High Sierra, and the mdworkers are still hanging around from time to time.

User uploaded file

I'm really surprised that if I left the computer the whole night turned on, I listen the fans fire up from time to time, with no reason. The screenshot was taken this morning (I live in Europe).

Nov 8, 2017 11:05 PM in response to lpuerto

Read this article See how apps affect Mac performance, battery runtime, temperature, and fan activity - Apple Support

Also click on the bottom links ( learn more ) .

Some more articles View information about processes - Apple Support

Change how often information is updated - Apple Support

About fan noise About fans and fan noise in your Apple product - Apple Support

Mac notebooks: Operating temperature - Apple Support

Run SMC How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

For a normal working computer the CPU percentage will fluctuate within 90 to 98 % or sometimes 99% when the system is in idle condition and no application is opened .Select the % CPU column in activity monitor .

If any process is taking more than 70 % of CPU it means it is putting load on the system .

You may quit that application to stop it using the CPU , to prevent runway processes in the future be sure to keep OSX applications and plug - ins up to date with the latest versions available .

Nov 9, 2017 1:18 AM in response to tygb

Hey @tygb, thanks a lot for your insights and help although I already knew most of that info. About temp of operation... bear in mind I live in Finland, so temp of operation usually isn't an issue. I keep my Mac in an stand and it's really ventilated. I'm even planning to install a fan in the stand because I want to keep it as cool as possible.

I'm also aware that I'm connecting my Mac to a sternal screen thus the gpu is being used and in consequence the temp of the whole system increase around 20ºC. For that reason I'm trying to keep the Mac as ventilated as possible.

Nothing has been anomalous since the update but those mdworkers popping up from time to time. Right now, after I restarted this morning, everything seems normal. No mdworkers hanging around with excessive cpu load.

My question was, specifically, is it's normal for them to be there from time to time or if it's normal to tame more time than in previous system to spotlight to index. I've noticed that if you delete the spotlight index there is no longer an indication that it's indexing just after the deletion. Has the spotlight behavior change to a more slow and sparsely done way to try to interfere as less as possible with the use of the computer? Just in the same way as this photoanalysis process or mediaanalysis processes.

Thanks!

PS/ just if you were wondering, I've already reseted PRAM and SMC. 🙂

Nov 9, 2017 1:44 AM in response to lpuerto

Correct alignment of fans in the machine is also one of the reason , I had an experience regarding fans kept the laptop on the bed for hours and used to browse .

The dust particles or fibrous material were absorbed by the machine , after a long time when i sent the laptop to the apple service centre they opened the machine and showed the fibrous material , and of course they cleaned it .

Some advices were given keep the computer on hard surface ( keep it on the table ) if it is perforated then performance will be excellent .

Also when data is transferred spotlight indexing can occur , and the CPU percentage will come down after days , if any process is exceeding 70 % then something is problematic .

Spotlight indexing is a normal process , when you shut down the system and open an application example mail you will see a bar is loading ( as system and the processes take time to boot ) .

Note : Avoid opening multiple applications at the same time , use a single application when your task is completed quit the application then use the other application ( I have seen some users , they have opened many applications say , calendars , notes ...etc from morning to evening and are browsing and at the end of the day forget to quit one or two applications and shut down the Mac , the applications will be running in the background that has not be done .

Nov 9, 2017 1:05 PM in response to lpuerto

The first thing I would do would be to completely uninstall "MacsFanControl", assuming you are using to to override the Mac's internal thermal management for whatever reason. Attempting to circumvent the Mac's cooling system is a very very bad idea. It can lead to premature hardware failure. An exhaust fan that operates faster than required for a Mac's thermal condition is just as incorrect as one that doesn't work at all. Get rid of it.

I don't know the reason Spotlight appears to be working overtime. There appears to be a disk image mounted, whose contents only you can know, but which are being indexed along with everything else, even mounted network drives. Eject it and determine the outcome.

Nov 9, 2017 11:13 PM in response to John Galt

Hi John!!

Thanks for your reply!

I'm using "MacsFanControl" just for monitor the temp and the fans. I haven't changed the config. I have the same opinion as you, I think that Mac cooling system is just fine... If you want a cooler Mac, get a cooling pad or improve ventilation around your Mac. If you have a better suggestion for a light/er app for monitoring temp and fans I'll go for it.

Regarding "mdworkers". They're gone now. But I guess that this is a change of "policy" regarding indexing from previous OS. At least from El Capitan and previous ones. Before Spotlight indexed as fast as it could. Usually If I delete my computer Spotlight index it would reindex the whole hard drive in 1h or less, but using as CPU as possible. Now seems that they are just hanging our there using some resources during more time, one or two days. I guess it the same fashion as "photoanalysis" and "mediaanalysis". They are trying to index when you aren't using your computer.

You're also right about the network drives and so. The backup disk have been also mounted. I'm going to put then on exceptions.

Thanks for your help and looking forward for a better option about monitor fans and temp.

Thanks!

mdworkers in High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.