Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Live photos cannot import into Photos app in High Sierra

I have reported this to Apple support and they can't seem to resolve it. Escalated to engineering team and waiting for a fix.

I am running iOS 11.2 (this issue has been around since 11.0) and latest version of High Sierra on iMac and Macbook Air.

When importing Live photos and videos taken with iPhone, the video part of Live photos throw up an error and the photo + video won't be imported into Photos app.

See screenshot.

This only occurs for Live photos and I've also tried doing this using the Image Capture tool as well.

Normal photos (taken by iPhone) and downloaded videos from other sources like whatsapp or web can be imported to Photos app.

Let me know if anyone else has this issue and have found a workaround.

User uploaded file

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.1), null

Posted on Nov 8, 2017 5:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2017 7:24 AM

The problem is probably the case-sensitive part of the format. If the filesystem on the external drive is treating files named Ax.JPG as different from AX.JPG, you are risking conflicts with the filenames.

If this is the issue, save your library temporarily on another drive formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled), but not case-sensitive.

To make the Live Photos come to live again, that you imported lifeless, you will have to delete all traces of the Live Photos that did not work from the library, before you try to import them again from your iPhone.

Is your iPhone an iPhone 7 or a newer model? The iPhone 7 can take photos in HEIF format and videos in HEVC format since iOS 11 came out. Photos on High Sierra cannot handle the high resolution HVEC videos, if the Mac is older than late 2015. If videos will not play, change the settings on your iPhone to take the videos in a more compatible format, see: Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2017 7:24 AM in response to h1studio

The problem is probably the case-sensitive part of the format. If the filesystem on the external drive is treating files named Ax.JPG as different from AX.JPG, you are risking conflicts with the filenames.

If this is the issue, save your library temporarily on another drive formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled), but not case-sensitive.

To make the Live Photos come to live again, that you imported lifeless, you will have to delete all traces of the Live Photos that did not work from the library, before you try to import them again from your iPhone.

Is your iPhone an iPhone 7 or a newer model? The iPhone 7 can take photos in HEIF format and videos in HEVC format since iOS 11 came out. Photos on High Sierra cannot handle the high resolution HVEC videos, if the Mac is older than late 2015. If videos will not play, change the settings on your iPhone to take the videos in a more compatible format, see: Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Dec 11, 2017 6:51 PM in response to léonie

I'm stuck in what seems like the same boat, but without a solution.

My Photos library is on an external HD that's formatted MacOS Extended (Case-Sensitive, Journaled).

I was able to download Live Photos to it until I upgraded my iPhone to iOS 11.

I assumed High Sierra would solve the problem on the iMac side, but it did not.

I can only retrieve Live Photos from my iPhone using the Image Capture app and downloading to the iMac's Fusion Drive. Then I can import into the Photos library.

Here's the twist... the Fusion Drive is not formatted APFS because that format is not yet supported. It is MacOS Extended (Journaled) without case sensitivity.

I tried converting the external HD to APFS but got an error in Disk Utility.

I tried copying the entire Photos library from the external HD to my Pictures directory on the iMac, but it stopped halfway through and gave an error message that "You can't copy 'Photos Library.photoslibrary' because it has the same name as another item on the destination volume, and that volume doesn't distinguish between upper- and lowercase letters in filenames."

Seeing how there is no existing Photos library on the destination volume, I can only assume there are files within the "package" that have the same filename but different capitalizations, and the Finder can't handle it.

So, as I said, I'm stuck.

Also, it is notable that my problem did not really originate with High Sierra but with iOS 11.

Any suggestions??

Nov 8, 2017 7:24 AM in response to léonie

That's a good point. This is what I have. It's in a USB drive.

Should I reformat it to something else?

But the thing is I've been doing this for ages, same Library file in same thumbdrive for at least 3-4 years.

This only surfaced after High Sierra.

p.s. before some condemns me for putting the Library in a thumbdrive, my process is this. Google Photos backup to cloud. Move high res and live photos / videos from iPhone to Photos app Library. Then export them into my iMac photos folders, and I have a daily automated clone of my iMac files to external NAS. I still use Photos app on Mac OS because I can export the Live photos + video part to my photos archive as Live photos videos are awesome.

User uploaded file

Jan 2, 2018 6:21 PM in response to Jason Kim

Still having this problem. I finally managed to convert my external HD from "MacOS Extended (Case-Sensitive, Journaled)" to APFS. But now it shows up as "APFS (Case-sensitive)" and still won't import Live Photos.

I don't understand how I am supposed to copy my Photos Library from a case-sensitive drive to a non-sensitive one. As noted above, when I tried copying it to my non-sensitive internal Fusion Drive, it failed.

Help!?

Live photos cannot import into Photos app in High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.