Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BS Phone call from “APPLE SUPPORT”

getting phone calls from 1 (585) 582-5971 telling me theyre Apple Support and i shouldnt use any of my Apple products because theyve noticed activity on all my devices has been hacked. i know its BS but wanted to warn others. In my car so couldn’t write down phone number they said to call. ACtually it would be great if Apple could shut down these scam artist

Posted on Nov 8, 2017 7:53 AM

3 replies

Nov 8, 2017 7:57 AM in response to Leoleo68

Thanks for the heads-up! For the further guidance of other readers:

Learn how to identify and avoid fraudulent "phishing" email, fake ‘virus alerts’ and other scams:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht204759

How to report phishing emails to Apple:

These email addresses are monitored by Apple, but you might not receive a reply to your report.

• If you receive what you believe to be a phishing email that's designed to look like it’s from Apple, please send it to reportphishing@apple.com.
  • To report spam or other suspicious emails that you receive in your iCloud.com, me.com, or mac.com Inbox, please send them to abuse@icloud.com.
  • To report spam or other suspicious messages that you receive through iMessage, tap Report Junk under the message, or take a screenshot on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac and send it to imessage.spam@apple.com.
  • If you receive a suspicious message about your purchase activity in the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store, contact iTunes Support.

Nov 8, 2017 7:58 AM in response to Leoleo68

Scam phone calls are on the increase. They use whatever they think will work to get you to call the thieves. They use any reputable company name like Apple, Microsoft, insurance companies, IRS, banks, etc. I don't answer my phone any more unless I recognize the number calling. If the caller is legitimate they will leave a message, but beware, even some of these scam artists leave messages. Do not call them.

Nov 9, 2017 9:31 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

I received three of those robocalls in two days this summer, then they stopped. They seemed obvious scams, but then I stay on top of my iCloud and App store usage.

ACtually it would be great if Apple could shut down these scam artist

The problem is that these are international criminals. Apple is powerful but not enough to to initiate a SWAT raid, a SEAL team assault, or a drone strike. Yes, some scammer phone calls are routed through US hubs, and there are internet servers in the US who have no compunctions about taking foreign money and routing foreign scam e-mails. The only way to address this mess is for the FCC to step up enforcement, but additional regulation is not looking good given our current political climate.

For now, the best defense against these b*stards lies between your ears.

BS Phone call from “APPLE SUPPORT”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.