Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playlists from Apple Music are empty on iPhone

Hi.

I have an iPhone running iOS 11..0.3 that is having difficulty pulling the songs on my playlists down from Apple Music.

Here are some things I’ve done all with restarts in between:

1. Turned off and on iCloud music library

2. Turned off and on auto download

3. Logged in and out of iCloud.

4. “Deleted” Apple Music and reinstalled.

5. Configured settings after reinstall

Playlists are updating on my other devices. Any playlists added to Music show up on the iPhone, but the contents of all playlists are empty.

Can anyone help me with this?

User uploaded file

Posted on Nov 8, 2017 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2017 4:58 PM

Try this article step by step to see if it helps get these back:

Turn on iCloud Music Library

When iCloud Music Library is turned on, you can access your entire music collection across your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, Mac, or PC.

With your Apple Music subscription, you can access your music library on all of your devices as long as you're signed in to all of your devices with the same Apple ID and iCloud Music Library is turned on.

Apple Music features and content varies by country and region.

Make sure that you're signed in to all of your devices with the Apple ID that you use for your Apple Music subscription. Then follow these steps to turn on iCloud Music Library.

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Go to Settings > Music, and tap iCloud Music Library to turn it on.
    User uploaded file
  2. If you already have music on your device, you're asked if you want to keep the music that's on your device.
    If you choose Keep Music*, the music from your device adds to your iCloud Music Library.
    If you choose Delete & Replace, the music on your device is replaced with the content from your iCloud Music Library.

On your Mac or PC

1. Mac: From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose iTunes > Preferences.
    User uploaded file
    Windows: From the menu bar at the top of the iTunes window, choose Edit > Preferences.User uploaded file
  2. On the General tab, select iCloud Music Library to turn it on.
    User uploaded file
  3. Click OK.

User uploaded file

If you don't see your content on all of your devices

On the computer that contains your original music library, make sure that you're signed in to iTunes with the Apple ID that you use with Apple Music and have iCloud Music Library turned on. Then, from the menu bar at the top of your computer screen or the top of the iTunes window, choose File > Library > Update iCloud Music Library.

Make sure that that you have the latest version of iOS, macOS, and iTunes on your devices in order to sign in with the Apple ID that you use with Apple Music.

User uploaded file

Learn more

If you don't subscribe to Apple Music, learn the best way to get your music on all of your devices. You can also redownload your iTunes Store past purchases on any of your devices.

* When you choose Merge, songs on your device that are in the Apple Music catalog become instantly available to access on your other devices. On iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, songs that we can't match are shown on your other devices. But you won't be able to play them on your other devices until you upload them from your Mac or PC with iTunes.

Information about products not manufactured by Apple, or independent websites not controlled or tested by Apple, is provided without recommendation or endorsement. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance, or use of third-party websites or products. Apple makes no representations regarding third-party website accuracy or reliability. Risks are inherent in the use of the Internet. Contact the vendor for additional information. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.

Published Date: Nov 3, 2017

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2017 4:58 PM in response to joshuafrompalmetto

Try this article step by step to see if it helps get these back:

When iCloud Music Library is turned on, you can access your entire music collection across your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, Mac, or PC.

With your Apple Music subscription, you can access your music library on all of your devices as long as you're signed in to all of your devices with the same Apple ID and iCloud Music Library is turned on.

Apple Music features and content varies by country and region.

Make sure that you're signed in to all of your devices with the Apple ID that you use for your Apple Music subscription. Then follow these steps to turn on iCloud Music Library.

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Go to Settings > Music, and tap iCloud Music Library to turn it on.
    User uploaded file
  2. If you already have music on your device, you're asked if you want to keep the music that's on your device.
    If you choose Keep Music*, the music from your device adds to your iCloud Music Library.
    If you choose Delete & Replace, the music on your device is replaced with the content from your iCloud Music Library.

On your Mac or PC

1. Mac: From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose iTunes > Preferences.
    User uploaded file
    Windows: From the menu bar at the top of the iTunes window, choose Edit > Preferences.User uploaded file
  2. On the General tab, select iCloud Music Library to turn it on.
    User uploaded file
  3. Click OK.

User uploaded file

If you don't see your content on all of your devices

On the computer that contains your original music library, make sure that you're signed in to iTunes with the Apple ID that you use with Apple Music and have iCloud Music Library turned on. Then, from the menu bar at the top of your computer screen or the top of the iTunes window, choose File > Library > Update iCloud Music Library.

Make sure that that you have the latest version of iOS, macOS, and iTunes on your devices in order to sign in with the Apple ID that you use with Apple Music.

User uploaded file

Learn more

If you don't subscribe to Apple Music, learn the best way to get your music on all of your devices. You can also redownload your iTunes Store past purchases on any of your devices.

* When you choose Merge, songs on your device that are in the Apple Music catalog become instantly available to access on your other devices. On iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, songs that we can't match are shown on your other devices. But you won't be able to play them on your other devices until you upload them from your Mac or PC with iTunes.

Information about products not manufactured by Apple, or independent websites not controlled or tested by Apple, is provided without recommendation or endorsement. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance, or use of third-party websites or products. Apple makes no representations regarding third-party website accuracy or reliability. Risks are inherent in the use of the Internet. Contact the vendor for additional information. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.

Published Date: Nov 3, 2017

Dec 22, 2017 1:08 PM in response to liv0123

This did not help me at all. I just bought a new iPhone X and my playlists all show as empty on the new phone though they show songs on both my MacBook Pro and my iPad.

Not just playlists but lots of music I have added to "My Music" is not there on my phone but is there on my other devices.

I have tried everything I can think of, disabling and re-enneabling uninstalling and re-installing the app. Ridiculous!

Seriously what happened to apple just works! This is extremely frustrating after spending money on this new phone and my music collection is totally borked. If this is not fixed by Jan 9, I will cancel my Apple Music and go back to Spotify. You are really blowing it apple, this is unacceptable.

Dec 23, 2017 6:35 AM in response to joshuafrompalmetto

I feel your pain. I have been an Apple user since 1987 and I am so frustrated with what seems like a lack of testing and debugging before new products or services are released from Apple. I reluctantly signed up for Apple Music because of having moved to the UK several years ago from the US and having two apple ids. I had purposely avoided iCloud due to having to be signed in to one country or another in order to access purchases from my two accounts. After reading of nightmare scenarios about iTunes libraries going awry after signing up for Apple Music or MAtch, I decided a few months ago that enough time had passed since Apple Music was introduced and that surely the bugs would be worked out. I didn't have too many of the library issues I've read about other than what I expected from having purchases from two ids, but I quickly learned that smart playlists DO NOT work with Apple Music. They will work on an iMac where the files reside, but smart playlists do not sync to the iPhone. I am very particular with my large music library. I have all of my music rated with so much time invested in genre labels and even special tags in the comments of each song. I have tried every avenue of Apple Support to address the broken smart playlist issue: online chat, phone, genius in-store appointment, to no avail. I don't go into all the details of all of the things they asked me to check and update, blah blah blah. They don't know how to address the problem. I believe that's mainly because they will not admit Apple Music does not support smart playlists. It's very frustrating.

Playlists from Apple Music are empty on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.