Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail needs a rebuild in order to see new mail

When using mail with an exchange server on a MacBook Pro running MacOS High Sierra and mail version 11.1 I no longer get new mail unless I rebuild. This just started happening after using this new laptop for about a month.

I can send mail and see old mail.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 8, 2017 2:27 PM

3 replies

Nov 9, 2017 4:18 PM in response to Clubfit1

Hi Clubfit1,

I understand that you don't receive mail to your exchange account unless you rebuild your mailbox. I'm happy to provide some help for this issue.

Since Mail redownloads the messages in the mailbox when you rebuild it, it may just not be checking for messages in the first place. I recommend checking how often Mail checks for new messages by opening Mail > Preferences > General > Check for New Messages. You can also manually check for new messages according to the steps in the article below:

Use Mail on your Mac - Apple Support

View your email

User uploaded file

Mail automatically checks your email accounts periodically for new mail. To manually check for email, click the Get Mail User uploaded file button. To view an email message, select it from the list of messages on the left side of the Mail window. The message body appears on the right side of the window.

If this doesn't help, check out the last few sections of troubleshooting in the article below:

If you can’t send or receive email on your Mac - Apple Support

If email doesn't arrive as soon as you expect

Incoming or outgoing email might take longer to arrive than you expect, or it might arrive on one device before arriving on another device.

Email delivery is scheduled by your email provider, and delivery time could also be affected by your Internet provider. If you often experience significant email delays, contact your email provider or Internet provider. If the delays occur only when communicating with a particular person, that person may need to contact their email provider or Internet provider.

If you still can’t send or receive email

1. Make sure that you installed the latest Mac software updates, especially if the issue occured immediately after installing a previous update.
  2. In OS X El Capitan or later, you might see a status icon and brief error message in the upper-right corner of the Mail window, beneath the Search field. The message might say “Network Offline” or “Login Failed,” for example. Click the message to see more details about the issue . User uploaded file
  3. Check your connection in Mail Connection Doctor . It might be able to tell you more about the issue.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Nov 21, 2017 4:59 AM in response to i_rina

I have followed every single step, including deleting all information of my Exchange account, and re-setting it up from scratch in Mail, and I still have to click "Rebuild" in order for Mail to get emails from my Exchange account. In fact, I use the activity window in Mail to see what it's doing, and it will say it's checking for new mail, but that there's no new mail, even though I have my browser open and can see that there is new mail in my Exchange account.

This happened after I updated to High Sierra 10.13.1

MacBook Pro (Mid 2015)

2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

mail needs a rebuild in order to see new mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.