Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I fix rendering error 10008 on imovie 10.1.8

I am trying to edit my 50 min video and I keep getting this error it's very annoying how an u fix this ?

Posted on Nov 8, 2017 5:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2017 7:52 AM

Yes, this can be a pesky issue. The problem usually is caused by some corruption somewhere in the project, although it might be hard to find. But other things like mixed formats and positions of titles can cause the issue. Or it can be project related, that can be cured by copy and pasting into a new project.

Take a look at this thread for some various solutions that have worked for others:

Help with iMovie- Error message 10008

Some solutions that have worked:

1. Create a duplicate of the project and export that.

2. Reposition titles. (Also can try changing the fonts in titles in case of a corrupted font.)

3. Convert your clips to .mov or Mp4 -- no mixed formats among clips.

4. At the point where the movie stops rendering, find that point in the project and remove some frames before and after.

5. Copy and paste the project into a new library.

6. Update both operating system and iMovie version to current. (iMovie 10.1.8 was designed for High Sierra.)

Sorry you are having this trouble. Nothing to do but keep experimenting until you can pinpoint the point of corruption.

-- Rich

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2017 7:52 AM in response to cachewilliams01

Yes, this can be a pesky issue. The problem usually is caused by some corruption somewhere in the project, although it might be hard to find. But other things like mixed formats and positions of titles can cause the issue. Or it can be project related, that can be cured by copy and pasting into a new project.

Take a look at this thread for some various solutions that have worked for others:

Help with iMovie- Error message 10008

Some solutions that have worked:

1. Create a duplicate of the project and export that.

2. Reposition titles. (Also can try changing the fonts in titles in case of a corrupted font.)

3. Convert your clips to .mov or Mp4 -- no mixed formats among clips.

4. At the point where the movie stops rendering, find that point in the project and remove some frames before and after.

5. Copy and paste the project into a new library.

6. Update both operating system and iMovie version to current. (iMovie 10.1.8 was designed for High Sierra.)

Sorry you are having this trouble. Nothing to do but keep experimenting until you can pinpoint the point of corruption.

-- Rich

Nov 8, 2017 9:09 PM in response to cachewilliams01

Hi,

There's usually a corrupt frame or clip in the project that causes this rendering error. The way to find it is to skim through the project slowly and carefully, watching for any flashes or flickers that indicate corruption. If you find one, cut it out of the project and see if it will render. With a 50 minute video that can be pretty painstaking unless you have some idea of the general area where the problem might be. One way to narrow down the search is to duplicate the project and then delete half of it and share out the other half. If it shares out fine, then you know that the problem is in the half that you deleted. If you get the rendering error notification with the share out, then you know that the problem is in the half that you shared out. Repeat the process by duplicating the project and cutting the corrupt portion in half and sharing it out until you isolate the range where the corruption exists. Then skim it frame by frame until you find the culprit and cut it from the project.

Before doing all of that, try doing an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy of the project, and Edit/Paste the copied project media into a newly created project, to rule out that the issue may be project related.

You can also try restarting your computer and opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys, and deleting preferences in the box that appears.

-- Rich

Nov 9, 2017 2:17 AM in response to Rich839

I went frame by frame using the arrow key and I can't see any corruption or black..

When i try export it it takes a while then I get the error then when I try play the exported file that got the error it only plays 7 seconds but just the music with no video I went to 7 seconds in the project but it seems fine I can't find no glitches there.. ?

How do I fix rendering error 10008 on imovie 10.1.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.