Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K - 24Hz SDR 1080p

Have just bought the New Apple TV 4K for my non 4K TV xD only because of the support of 24p xD Which is something that unfortunately has taken Apple so long time to take seriously, but now it seems to me that 24p is only supported on SDR content in 4K and not on SDR content in 1080p. It seems strange to me that Apple do not allow 24p at 1080p, now where you in the absence of hardware can display 4K at 24Hz. Is there any way to get around this? guessing it just are software obstacle now, so if anyone know a way to solve it ****

<Edited by Host>

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Nov 9, 2017 5:07 AM

8 replies

Jan 3, 2018 7:20 AM in response to Cesar_ser_4

The original poster is unfortunately correct. We are talking about dynamic frame rate settings based on the content you are playing which is only supported by the new Apple TV 4k and not by the Apple TV 4th Gen. This might be the reason for someone to go for the 4k Version even without a 4k display. Especially some projectors like the new Epson TW5650 don't like the 3:2 pulldown Apple TV generates with 1080p24 SDR content. There is a massive judder every 3 seconds.

So when you buy a Apple TV 4k to get this dynamic frame rate setting for your 1080p SDR projector you will realize that it will not work on 1080p24 SDR. This is very sad because Apple TV 4k supports 1080p24 SDR as a fixed preset. It just does not switch automatically between 1080p60 SDR and 1080p24 SDR.

This is in my view a bug because the hardware is able to display these settings perfectly. For reasons I cannot understand apple will adjust the frame rate only with 4k or HDR content.

Apple TV developers: pretty please add the support to switch the frame rate also for 1080p24 SDR content.

Apple TV 4K - 24Hz SDR 1080p

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.