Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone video not showing for import

I'm running iMovie 10.1.8. Since the last update (I think) iMovie is no longer showing video taken on my iPhone as ready for import. I click on import, my iphone and my clips aren't there. I've tried trashing the preference file- still not there. I can export the video files from Photos, but then my time stamp is incorrect. How can I fix this problem. Thanks.

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Nov 9, 2017 7:49 AM

21 replies

Dec 20, 2017 11:32 PM in response to dionna8434

There are two different settings on the iPhone that handle the HEIF/HEVC format.

1. One setting is for capturing and storing the media, as explained by Rich839
  2. and one setting for converting the media files, when you download them from the iPhone by connecting the iPhone to a USB port.

This is described here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207022#working

The format on the iPhone:

Though capturing in HEIF and HEVC format is recommended, you can capture media using older formats that are more broadly compatible with other operating systems and devices:

1. In iOS 11, go to Settings > Camera.
  2. Tap Formats.
  3. Tap Most Compatible. This setting is available only on devices that can capture media in HEIF or HEVC format.
  4. All new photos and videos will now use JPEG or H.264 format. To return to using the space-saving HEIF and HEVC formats, choose High Efficiency.

Downloading from the iPhone:

When you import HEIF or HEVC media from an attached iOS device to Photos, Image Capture, or a PC, the media might be converted to JPEG or H.264.

You can change this import behavior in iOS 11. Go to Settings > Photos. In the "Transfer to Mac or PC" section, tap Keep Originals to prevent the media from being converted when importing.

So, if you prefer to have the space saving format on your iPhone, but the more compatible format on the Mac, change only the setting in the Settings > Photos > "Transfer to Mac or PC" section and disable "Keep originals".

Nov 9, 2017 7:59 AM in response to Darcy.mcg

If you have iPhone 7 or later, it will by default export vids in the new HEVC format. Although iMovie 10.1.8 supports that format, possibly that might be causing the problem. If that applies to you, go into your iPhone settings and change the export format from high efficiency (HEVC) to "most compatible". See if that solves it.

-- Rich

Nov 9, 2017 8:12 AM in response to Rich839

Thanks Rich. I do have an iPhone 7 and that fixed the problem going forward. A couple of questions:

1. How do I import the video still on my phone that's still in the HEVC format?

2. Why wouldn't I want to record everything in the HVEC format if that's the newest and best? How can I get iMovie 10.1.8 to view it?

I really appreciate your help and quick response!

Nov 9, 2017 8:50 AM in response to Darcy.mcg

Hi,

I'm still using iPhone 6s, so I can't create a HVEC file to test with it and see what import methods work with it. According to the literature it is an improved format over the commonly used H.264 codec. Being relatively new to the market, consumers are still leaning how to work with it.

Your profile indicates that you are using Sierra. Be sure to update to High Sierra, that is the operating system designed to work with HVEC together with iMovie 10.1.8.

Also, your mid-2010 Mac probably does not have the hardware to work with HEVC. From what I have read, you might need a 2017 Mac. But I will defer to others on this forum who might already be working with HEVC on older computers. I just haven't seen enough feedback yet from users about HEVC to comment definitively.

As long as you are able to export from Photos, at least you can work with HEVC, if you can live with the time stamp issue. You might also convert to another format. I think that the freedownload, Handbrake, will do that. Of course, that would mean losing whatever advantage that HEVC has for you.

-- Rich

Nov 9, 2017 10:14 AM in response to Rich839

I just read this informative article about HEVC that you might find of interest:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/09/23/how-to-ios-11-heir-havc/

One statement that I noticed in there was this: "Mac models from mid 2015 or earlier work with HEVC video that was captured at no greater than 1080p at 240 fps." I don't know whether your vids were recorded in 4K, but if they were that could be an issue with your older computer.

-- Rich

Nov 9, 2017 4:38 PM in response to Rich839

Rich, I really really appreciate you taking the time to look into this and get back to me. I upgraded my old iMac to High Sierra (went and had to look for it, weird that it didn't get picked up in automatic updates?) and now everything is working again. iMovie is able to see my recorded videos in the High Efficiency format. I'm going to take some time tomorrow and learn more about this HEVC.

Thank you again for your help! You really helped me out.

Nov 11, 2017 9:49 AM in response to Darcy.mcg

Hi, Darcy,

Thanks for replying back.

I have just learned that you can play and edit HEVC in iMovie if using current High Sierra and iMovie 10.1.8, but at present there are no HEVC sharing options in iMovie. So, HEVC movies shared from iMovie will render at the H.264 codec rather than the H.265 codec of HEVC. Appears that we will need to wait for another update to High Sierra/10.1.8 before we can share out in HEVC.

You can check the format of your shared HEVC movie by opening it in Quicktime Player and clicking on Window/Show Movie Inspector. A box will appear showing the format of the video. If it is shown at H.265, that would be HEVC. As I said, though, there are no HEVC share options from iMovie, so the movie will be shown as H.264 format. At least, that is what I have learned from others who have tried it. Please post back if your findings are different.

-- Rich

Nov 13, 2017 8:00 AM in response to Darcy.mcg

It shared out as a pro res .mov file because you chose the Best quality option when sharing out. All other share options would have yielded an H.264, Mp4 file. Pro res is a very high quality, high bitrate, high file size codec. But it is not the HEVC codec so that confirms that a shared out HEVC movie does not retain the HEVC codec.

Thanks for taking the time to do the experiment and reporting back your finding.

You can do a screen shot by simultaneously pressing Command>Shift>4, and that will morph your cursor into a cross-hair. Then with your trackpad or mouse, press-drag the morphed cursor over the screen to outline the area that you want to select, and release. That will give you a screen shot on your desktop of the area that you selected. If you want a shot of the whole screen, press Command>Shift>3. No need to outline anything. The screen shot will automatically be taken.

Cheers,

Rich

Dec 20, 2017 8:29 PM in response to dionna8434

The first thing is to update to both iMovie 10.1.8 and High Sierra. That might solve it, as that combination is designed for HEVC.

Your iPhone settings for Photos and Camera should contain the video recording settings. If it's set for "high efficiency video" (HEVC) (which it will be by default) you can change if to "Most compatible" and that will give you the standard H.264 codec rather than HEVC's H.265 codec. That would be for videos recorded in the future.

For videos already recorded you would need to share the movie to your desktop and use a converter like Handbrake to convert it to Mp4. Then you can import that into iMovie.

-- Rich

iphone video not showing for import

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.