Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS High Sierra and Safari: Download animation stuck on screen until Safari app is closed

Hi!

Title says it all: macOS High Sierra and Safari - Download animation stuck on screen until Safari app is closed.

macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.1 (17B48)

Safari Version 11.0.1 (13604.3.5)

So whenever I click on a link to download a file, the file loads but the animation is stuck and remains on screen until Safari app is closed. This happens every time a link initiating a download is clicked. This is highly annoying and distracting while working as it remains visible even with other apps open/active. So now every time I download a file I initiate the download, close Safari and resume the download.....

Is there something I can do = turning the animation off for the time being? (I searched for this but it seems this animation can't be turned off?)

Is it a known bug?

Would appreciate any input/help. Thank you!

Kind regards,

Oliver

User uploaded file

macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), FritzBox 7270 (Europe)

Posted on Nov 9, 2017 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2017 3:32 AM

I'm also experiencing the exact same issue.

It appears to be a bug related to the GPU's 3D Acceleration that is used to display these animations. Disabling the 3D acceleration by going into OS X Safe Mode resolves the issue temporarily until I reboot normally and 3D Acceleration is back on.

Being that the issue doesn't seem common, and is resolved by disabling hardware acceleration, I'm worried this could be a sign of my laptop GPU starting to fail. The GPU should be able to display these animations without a problem. Unless this issue is acknowledged by Apple as a fixable software update, I may take my Mac in to have the issue investigated.

Has anyone else heard anything?

Thank you for any assistance,

Ryan

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2017 3:32 AM in response to OlliM

I'm also experiencing the exact same issue.

It appears to be a bug related to the GPU's 3D Acceleration that is used to display these animations. Disabling the 3D acceleration by going into OS X Safe Mode resolves the issue temporarily until I reboot normally and 3D Acceleration is back on.

Being that the issue doesn't seem common, and is resolved by disabling hardware acceleration, I'm worried this could be a sign of my laptop GPU starting to fail. The GPU should be able to display these animations without a problem. Unless this issue is acknowledged by Apple as a fixable software update, I may take my Mac in to have the issue investigated.

Has anyone else heard anything?

Thank you for any assistance,

Ryan

macOS High Sierra and Safari: Download animation stuck on screen until Safari app is closed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.