Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X doesn't vibrate UPON switching to silent

When I switch my iPhone X to silent there is no quick vibration like on all my previous iPhones...is that normal? I have the phone set to 'vibrate on silent' but don't get the feedback when I actually switch it to silent. Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), iPhone X

Posted on Nov 9, 2017 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2017 1:37 PM

Today i had this problem. You need to go to settings -> sound and haptics -> and make sure vibration set to ON on both silent and ring. On my iphone x it was switched to OFF somehow , i have no idea how.

User uploaded file

13 replies

Dec 2, 2017 2:11 PM in response to Drorramat

For you to feel the haptic response for switching the phone from Ring to Silent, using the Mute switch on the side of the phone, the setting for System Haptics has to be turned on. This should be the final setting in the section on Settings>Sounds & Haptics. Even with the two settings you mention, for vibrate, it won't work if System Haptics is turned off. It is not a true vibration, but a haptic response when the switch is turned to Mute.

Dec 2, 2017 3:54 PM in response to iinami

You're welcome. How it worked in the past had to do with the fact that all the phones had was the vibration motor, so you got that, based on the fact that you also had a physical home button. Now, with the changed home button in the iPhone 7, and above, the phones have the haptic systems in addition to standard vibration. So, for system settings, it is a haptic, and requires the setting for System Haptics. Also, I just tested my device with System Haptics ON, and I do not receive a haptic response when I take a photo with the camera. So, if that is the only thing concerning you, it may be a moot point, since taking a photo does not appear to generate a haptic response.

iPhone X doesn't vibrate UPON switching to silent

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.