Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't link Google Account to MacOS Sierra

Not able to link my Google account. Did all things suggested. HELP.

MacBook Pro, iOS 10.2

Posted on Nov 9, 2017 1:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2017 1:16 AM

Click on finder from the dock , Click on Go > Computer > Macintosh HD > Library > drag and drop Caches folder to the desktop .

Enter in user library macOS Sierra: Library folder

Drag and drop Caches and Cookies folder itself to the desktop .

Restart the computer from apple logo and configure the account Set up Mail with email accounts - Apple Support

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2017 1:16 AM in response to sdaraio

Click on finder from the dock , Click on Go > Computer > Macintosh HD > Library > drag and drop Caches folder to the desktop .

Enter in user library macOS Sierra: Library folder

Drag and drop Caches and Cookies folder itself to the desktop .

Restart the computer from apple logo and configure the account Set up Mail with email accounts - Apple Support

Nov 15, 2017 10:04 AM in response to Momat32

How to enter in system library .

Click on finder from the dock , Click on Go > Computer > Macintosh HD > Library

Here you will find only Caches folder ( delete the whole blue folder firstly on the desktop ) .

User uploaded file

Secondly how to enter in user library , the link is already posted above .

The method is click on finder > Go > you have to keep on pressing option key , in the column

This the screen shot of the column .When you press option key after Computer > Library folder will appear .

User uploaded file

This folder is invisible .After that you will directly enter in user library .

From user library delete complete Two folders Caches and Cookies to the desktop .

Restart the machine and configure the mail account , once your are sure the mail is working delete these folders from the desktop into the trash , restart the machine and empty the trash .

User uploaded file

Nov 16, 2017 10:31 AM in response to Momat32

Open mail application , take cursor on top left of the the desktop Mail > click on Add account .

User uploaded file

A window appears select the round circle of google and click on continue .

User uploaded file

Another window will appear , type your gmail address .

User uploaded file

Click on next , it will prompt to enter gmail password , enter it correctly .

The mail application will get configured , again open mail application , you will see there are no mails after a while , they will start downloading ( the faster the network speed the better are results ) . Do not close the mail application as it will take time ( may be hours and it depends how many mails are on the server ) to download all of them .

See this article Set up Mail with email accounts - Apple Support

In the mail activity you will see like this , just an example let this blue line move to the dead end when all mails are downloaded this activity will stop condition mail application is opened , but if you quit the mail application in between the mails will download in less number .Also make sure connect your charger to the computer .

When you have completely downloaded all of your mails , go to system preferences - internet accounts check all the boxes of contacts , calendars , notes same way if iCloud account is configured check all boxes except back to my Mac .

User uploaded file

Nov 17, 2017 7:55 AM in response to tygb

Thank you for all your help, tygb.

With your help, I think I have solved the problem. In addition to following all your instructions, I also

• removed Google files from Keychain Access
  • removed OS X from my Google account.

I then reconfigured --successfully!-- the gmail account.

So far in the last couple of hours--fingers crossed--the password sign has not popped up.

Nov 9, 2017 5:01 PM in response to Csound1

Oh email communication! Apologies for letting my frustrations get in the way of what might be the answer to my problem! I have been noodling around the internet and futzing with this for well over an hour.

There was a very informative post that gave 3 ways to solve the problem. They didn't work. I also found this page: macos-sierra-internet-accounts-google-login-stuck.

Your kind input will be appreciated!

Nov 10, 2017 10:28 PM in response to sdaraio

No don't put back them , they were corrupted thats the reason they were dragged and dropped to the desktop delete them to the trash , restart the computer and empty the trash .

Open safari and browse for few minutes , the folders will be created in system library and user library ( don't be panic sometimes they can take time ) .

Nov 15, 2017 11:03 AM in response to tygb

Thank you for these helpful detailed instructions. I have followed them to the letter.

But when I restart (then empty the trash) and go to configure my google mail account I get the same situation. When I try to enter the password for my Google account the process does not complete.

I am trying to add a screenshot but am having trouble because this site keeps loading the image as a tiff even though I converted (or tried to) it to a jpeg.

Nov 23, 2017 3:48 AM in response to tygb

Can you elaborate again. You lost me after the first step to "drag and drop Caches filter to the desktop."

2nd step: "Enter in user library macOS Sierra: Library folder". --- I don't understand this step. Am I suppose to go to a certain Library folder? I already went to the Library folder in step 1.

3rd step: Drag and drop Caches and Cookies folder itself to the desktop. Is there one folder called "Caches and Cookies" folder or are they 2 different folders? Can't find them.

BTW, I'm using High Sierra.

My problem is I suddenly cannot login to my gmail account. Re-entering the correct passwords get me nowhere.

Thanks for your time and help

Nov 23, 2017 5:20 AM in response to yellofina

In user library there are many folders you have to select a folder Caches > drag and drop to the desktop , then go to the folder Cookies drag and drop to the desktop .

In the above screen shots user library is shown .

In system library there is always a folder Caches and Cookies folder never exists .So drag and drop caches folder to the desktop .

Don't mix up these two libraries , you have to first enter system library complete the task , then enter user library - complete the task , close the window .

Screen shots are clearly showing .

Can't link Google Account to MacOS Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.