Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Restore Breaks Remote Management - iOS 11.X.X

I am a part of an enterprise that leverages Apple's device enrollment program. We are in the process of transitioning from one MDM provider to another. I am attempting to establish a pilot program for the migration and am having users back up their device via iCloud. Afterwards i have them go to settings > general > reset > erase all content and settings. This factory resets the device and brings it back to the first time setup screen. While the phone is resetting I I reassign the device via serial number in deploy.apple.com, initiate a sync with the enrollment program in the MDM solution and then assign the DEP profile to the device. Once the device is wiped I have the DEP profile configured to allow restore from iCloud backup. The expected behavior is that the restore completes, the phone reboots and then you are at the remote management screen and in order to continue with first time setup you have to enter network credentials to authenticate. The actual behavior is that the device is bypassing the remote management screen and going straight to the home screen without a management profile installed. This occurs on both MDMs we currently use, but didn't start occurring until iOS 11 when we had to modify the DEP profiles to not skip the Apple ID sign in for the restore from iCloud option to become visible once more. If I choose to setup the devices as new, I get to the remote management screen as intended. But as of now Apple's device enrollment program devices can be bypassed as long as the user has an Apple ID with an iCloud backup to restore from. My question is, are there any others in the enterprise environment experiencing the same thing?

iPhone 7, iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 9, 2017 2:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2017 8:27 AM

Hello,

I'm having the same trouble and after many research i discover a way to bypass this (or maybe it's the way Apple want us to do it idk).

So if you restore on the same device the remote management screen will never show up you have to add a second device in order to make this work. If you backup device A and restore on device A you get the same problem, if you backup device A and restore on device B the full process will work. What i'm doing for the moment is to restore on a second device, perform a full backup with ITunes or Apple Configurator and restore it on the user device in order to get the full process working. I know it is not the perfect scenario but it is the only way to make it work, in my situation i have around 60 devices that i have to perform this procedure because the rest of the employes they will get a brand new device. I will open a request with apple and update you guys with the official response.

Thanks

Cristian.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2017 8:27 AM in response to DEP_Dupree

Hello,

I'm having the same trouble and after many research i discover a way to bypass this (or maybe it's the way Apple want us to do it idk).

So if you restore on the same device the remote management screen will never show up you have to add a second device in order to make this work. If you backup device A and restore on device A you get the same problem, if you backup device A and restore on device B the full process will work. What i'm doing for the moment is to restore on a second device, perform a full backup with ITunes or Apple Configurator and restore it on the user device in order to get the full process working. I know it is not the perfect scenario but it is the only way to make it work, in my situation i have around 60 devices that i have to perform this procedure because the rest of the employes they will get a brand new device. I will open a request with apple and update you guys with the official response.

Thanks

Cristian.

iCloud Restore Breaks Remote Management - iOS 11.X.X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.