Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch won't work properly on tattooed skin

I have been having problems with my Apple Watch not registering my work outs and I have not been getting notifications when the watch has password protect on it, I was told by Apple that this is because I have a tattoo on my arm! And to turn off wrist detection! Any one else had this problem?

Apple Watch Series 3, iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 9, 2017 3:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2017 5:43 PM

Hi

That can be normal (and some other users have certainly experienced the same issue).

The ink, pattern and/or saturation of tattoos can block light from the sensor on Apple Watch, preventing the Wrist Detection feature from working.

It may help to wear your Apple Watch on your other wrist. Even if you also have a tattoo on your other wrist, it may still be worthwhile testing this, as the ink, pattern and/or saturation of any other tattoo may vary sufficiently to allow the sensor to operate as expected.

To change the configuration of your Apple Watch accordingly:

On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > General > Watch Orientation > choose the preferred wrist and side for the buttons.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2017 5:43 PM in response to samanthafromfraserburgh

Hi

That can be normal (and some other users have certainly experienced the same issue).

The ink, pattern and/or saturation of tattoos can block light from the sensor on Apple Watch, preventing the Wrist Detection feature from working.

It may help to wear your Apple Watch on your other wrist. Even if you also have a tattoo on your other wrist, it may still be worthwhile testing this, as the ink, pattern and/or saturation of any other tattoo may vary sufficiently to allow the sensor to operate as expected.

To change the configuration of your Apple Watch accordingly:

On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > General > Watch Orientation > choose the preferred wrist and side for the buttons.

Apple Watch won't work properly on tattooed skin

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.