Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri will no longer read my texts in the car

With my iPhone 7 plus and IOS 10, Siri would always read my incoming texts to me over my Toyota bluetooth radio car system while I was driving. Now I have iPhone X and iOS 11 and when I ask Siri to "read the message" while I am driving, she tells me I have to unlock my iPhone first. The "do not disturb' car icon is in my control center, it is turned off, and "manual" is checked in the do not disturb while driving "activate" in the settings. Why won't Siri read my messages in the car anymore?

Posted on Nov 9, 2017 6:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2017 11:20 AM

Hi mr1213,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

From your post, I understand that you are not able to ask Siri to read your incoming text messages while you are driving; you are being prompted to unlock your iPhone. I’m happy to help you troubleshoot this situation!

From what you have stated, it sounds like you may have Messages previews disabled. Navigate to Settings > Notifications, Messages > and adjust Show Previews to Always. After making this adjustment, test this functionality again.

Use notifications on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Cheers!

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2017 11:20 AM in response to mr1213

Hi mr1213,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

From your post, I understand that you are not able to ask Siri to read your incoming text messages while you are driving; you are being prompted to unlock your iPhone. I’m happy to help you troubleshoot this situation!

From what you have stated, it sounds like you may have Messages previews disabled. Navigate to Settings > Notifications, Messages > and adjust Show Previews to Always. After making this adjustment, test this functionality again.

Use notifications on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Cheers!

Jan 18, 2018 4:36 PM in response to aadro

No. It’s not that the question is unanswered. It’s that people are unhappy with the ridiculous answer.

They have made the iPhone’s only option to lock immediately now.

So I get in my car, which connects to Bluetooth. FaceID to identify myself and put the phone in the console or pocket. Yet despite clearly still being in the car (thanks to Bluetooth), I can no longer use Siri to receive messages when driving despite reaching for my phone and staring at it? What happened to Apple being so concerned about car safety? Let me trust select Bluetooth connections to not relock the phone.

Either that or enable Siri to read messages (without displaying them on screen for all to see) separately from message previews.

Nov 26, 2017 8:17 AM in response to chris_g1

Chris, I have the same problem. I checked Settings>Notifications>Messages and my Show Previews is already set to Always. So what else could be preventing Siri from reading my messages through my Jabra Bluetooth phone device? She tells me the same thing as the previous person - that she can't because my iPhone X is locked. I do not have Do Not Disturb While Driving enabled. Thank you.

Dec 30, 2017 11:31 AM in response to chris_g1

Chris, I have the same problem as these other users, except none of those answers apply for me and the problem persists. The restrictions are set to "off" and the message app in notifications is set to "always". I called Apple support and when through a complete wipe and restoration of my phone and STILL have the problem. Sometimes siri will not even act like she heard a request. It will make the "speak tone" and almost immediately make the "end of speaking tone". I'm beyond irritated that nothing has worked. Any ideas?

Dec 30, 2017 4:03 PM in response to chris_g1

THANKS! I have had this problem since upgrading to iPhone X at the end of November 2017. I hope this will solve the problem for me as well.

BY THE WAY, there are a lot of similar questions UN-ANSWERED on this site. I have been looking for a while and chanced upon this answer today. I wish there were a way to "relate" the questions and answers together, as with forum "topics."

Hope others (looking for the same question answered) stumble upon the same answer as I did.

Jan 18, 2018 5:54 PM in response to PhyreMe

Actually, my problem of Siri not reading my text messages to me WAS solved by turning Settings — Notifications — Messages — Previews — to “Always” instead of “When Unlocked.”

However, whether I set “Do Not Disturb While Driving” to Automatic or Manual, it always friggin turns on Do Not Disturb whenever I am in the car with Bluetooth connection to the car. So, there’s no “Manual” option effectively. It ALWAYS just does it!

Feb 18, 2018 9:01 PM in response to chris_g1

This isn't the issue, there is NO notification while driving that a message/text/sms has been received while DND is active and while driving even with phone connected to car Bluetooth the only way to get messages read to while driving is to tell the phone your not driving and ask siri to read messages, how is this an improvement over having that happen automatically as before?

May 1, 2018 11:04 AM in response to chris_g1

This is not really the answer to the problem of how to get past Siri requesting to unlock your phone. I have an iPhone X in a windshield mount right in front of me, but Siri does not give me a way to unlock via Face ID. Is there any other ways to accomplish this? Same goes for other items on my phone that require it to be unlocked, e.g. HomeKit...

Siri will no longer read my texts in the car

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.