Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My activities from the past ten months are gone - after restoring to a back up that had them

Hi all, my workout was not synced after the gym (hi intensity). I have upgraded my series 2 Apple Watch and have been on my new iPhone 8plus for a week. "Other" workouts in the week had synced without a problem. In trying to find the problem, apple health kit app - I saw there were two apple watches there, and I deleted the on that said, no longer paired with this watch.

I think that is when I lost the last ten months of activity data - as it no longer shows any workouts for 2017, except for those that happened in the last week.

So so I restored my phone to an earlier back up version of the phone, but the watch data did not reappear.

how can I retrieve this workout data. Everything I read online sounds like it would be in the backup, but even after restoring, it's not there.

Any advice - thanks in advance, Jody

Posted on Nov 9, 2017 7:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2017 1:11 AM

Hi Jody

Deleting a data source from the Health app (including an Apple Watch that is no longer paired to your iPhone) also deletes all of the historic data that is associated with that data source.

To recover historic Health and Activity data by restoring your iPhone from a backup, the iPhone must be restored from an encrypted backup. Keep in mind that new data since that date of that backup will be lost.

If you do not have an encrypted backup of your iPhone (whether of your old one or of your new one) from before the point at which you deleted the data, then it will not be possible to recover the data by restoring from backup.

iCloud backups are encrypted as standard. When backing up using iTunes, backups are only encrypted if the option to "Encrypt iPhone backup" has been selected:

It may otherwise be possible to recover the data by enabling iCloud Health (which syncs Health and Activity data with iCloud, in the same way as data is synced for other iCloud-enabled services such as Notes and Contacts).

On your iPhone, go to: Settings > tap on your name / Apple ID at the top > iCloud > turn on Health.

However, this would only help if the feature had been enabled and then turned off prior to the point at which the data was erased and if it has not been turned back on since then.

More information (under the heading "What if I transferred my content to my new iPhone using iTunes, but my Health and Activity content is missing?"):

Switch your Apple Watch to a new iPhone - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2017 1:11 AM in response to freshjyve

Hi Jody

Deleting a data source from the Health app (including an Apple Watch that is no longer paired to your iPhone) also deletes all of the historic data that is associated with that data source.

To recover historic Health and Activity data by restoring your iPhone from a backup, the iPhone must be restored from an encrypted backup. Keep in mind that new data since that date of that backup will be lost.

If you do not have an encrypted backup of your iPhone (whether of your old one or of your new one) from before the point at which you deleted the data, then it will not be possible to recover the data by restoring from backup.

iCloud backups are encrypted as standard. When backing up using iTunes, backups are only encrypted if the option to "Encrypt iPhone backup" has been selected:

It may otherwise be possible to recover the data by enabling iCloud Health (which syncs Health and Activity data with iCloud, in the same way as data is synced for other iCloud-enabled services such as Notes and Contacts).

On your iPhone, go to: Settings > tap on your name / Apple ID at the top > iCloud > turn on Health.

However, this would only help if the feature had been enabled and then turned off prior to the point at which the data was erased and if it has not been turned back on since then.

More information (under the heading "What if I transferred my content to my new iPhone using iTunes, but my Health and Activity content is missing?"):

Switch your Apple Watch to a new iPhone - Apple Support

My activities from the past ten months are gone - after restoring to a back up that had them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.