Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

27" Apple Thunderbolt Display to Mac Pro 2010

I have a 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display with a Mini Display Port cable and a Apple Mac Pro 2010 with a Nvidia GTX 980 4GB graphic card installed, with 1xDual Link DVI-I, 1x HDMI 2.0, 3xDisplayPort 1.2 connections. What kind of adapter do I have to buy to connect them together?

And no I don't want to buy a new monitor or use another graphic card. 🙂

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mac Pro, 2010

Posted on Nov 10, 2017 7:21 AM

6 replies

Nov 10, 2017 11:02 AM in response to Parre

[Mini] DisplayPort is a subset of all the signals supposed by ThunderBolt. You can use that subset to drive an outbound [Mini] Displayport display, but not the reverse.

Some of the politics of it is that ThunderBolt is so complex it cannot be implemented without custom chips. Intel controls both the chips and the certification of what is genuine ThunderBolt, and have said publicly they are not interested in making chips for anything that does not support the WHOLE standard, both data and display signals, and nothing less.

So no adapters or converters, because you cannot buy the chips to do it, and you will not be able to get it certified even if you tried.

27" Apple Thunderbolt Display to Mac Pro 2010

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.