Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no oneā€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X rear camera not working

I JUST unboxed my new iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray and I'm having issues with the rear camera not working.

It will work when in portrait mode, but in any other camera mode it will only show white/take white pictures. I have restarted the device multiple times and tried a hard reset but nothing has helped so far.

Does anyone else have this issue?

I am so disapointed that I have waited so long for this phone to finally come out and also for it to be the very first Apple product I'm having issues with šŸ˜¢

iPhone X, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Nov 10, 2017 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 11:00 AM

Greetings, KristofferO.

Congratulations on your new iPhone X! I see that you're experiencing an issue with the rear camera, however. It will only take pictures in Portrait mode. Any other results in a white/blank screen and the pictures come out the same. I can understand your disappointment and I'm happy to help.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch -- Since restarting and forced-restarting your phone didn't resolve the issue, please be sure to have a fresh backup to keep your personal information safe. In order to back up your Health data, the backup needs to be encrypted. iCloud does this automatically, but iTunes doesn't. If you'd like to use iTunes to back up your phone, refer to this article: About encrypted backups in iTunes

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch -- Even though the title of the article isn't specific to your issue, the section titled "Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again" will walk you through all the steps to reinstall the iOS software on your device. Test the issue once your phone has returned to the Home screen.

Let me know how that goes.

Take care!

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2017 11:00 AM in response to KristofferO

Greetings, KristofferO.

Congratulations on your new iPhone X! I see that you're experiencing an issue with the rear camera, however. It will only take pictures in Portrait mode. Any other results in a white/blank screen and the pictures come out the same. I can understand your disappointment and I'm happy to help.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch -- Since restarting and forced-restarting your phone didn't resolve the issue, please be sure to have a fresh backup to keep your personal information safe. In order to back up your Health data, the backup needs to be encrypted. iCloud does this automatically, but iTunes doesn't. If you'd like to use iTunes to back up your phone, refer to this article: About encrypted backups in iTunes

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch -- Even though the title of the article isn't specific to your issue, the section titled "Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again" will walk you through all the steps to reinstall the iOS software on your device. Test the issue once your phone has returned to the Home screen.

Let me know how that goes.

Take care!

Nov 13, 2017 5:53 AM in response to jeremy_v

Hello,

I did the steps and even configured the phone as a new phone without any luck. Seems to me like a hardware issue. Camera is still only white. Seems like one of the lenses isnt working, as it can take photos in portrait mode. If i press on video i can tap the zoom icon and it will show a image. So it seems like the first camera isnt working.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway šŸ™‚

Dec 31, 2017 4:04 AM in response to Anth0612

Iā€™ve had this same problem ever since I took the 11.2 update. Iā€™ve done all the steps, even reset as a new phone and nothing worked. I took it to the Genius Bar and the replaced the camera but less than 24 hours later the camera is exhibiting the same behavior. Going back to Apple. My feeling is this is software related and not hardware.

Feb 2, 2018 6:47 AM in response to KristofferO

Hey, you might have seen my trash talking response to the auto reply system ā€œJeremyā€ ā€˜s ā€œsolutionā€ for you. And just thought Iā€™d be friendly to someone, I just updated the software to 11.2.5 and my camera works (for now). If it messes up again, which Iā€™m betting it will no later than the time of the next update. Hope it helped

iPhone X rear camera not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.