Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove status-menu item icons that don't exist.

My status menu shows icons for items that don't exist.

I would like to remove them if it doesn't cause problems.

Normally, I have the option of having the icon shown or not.

User uploaded file

Here are two exceptions which are displayed among the others I choose to show.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Network Preferences will let me choose to show wifi or not but there's no obvious option for the other two.

I would like to have detailed instructions to remove the icons from the Status Menu of the Menu Bar.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Nov 10, 2017 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2017 2:23 PM

Try holding down the COMMAND key and dragging the menubar item out of the menu. Otherwise, my guess is that you have a third-party utility installed that installed the menubar options. The Ethernet and PPPoE items may be there because you are using them or there is a checkbox that turns them off but you've overlooked them.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2017 2:23 PM in response to stan

Try holding down the COMMAND key and dragging the menubar item out of the menu. Otherwise, my guess is that you have a third-party utility installed that installed the menubar options. The Ethernet and PPPoE items may be there because you are using them or there is a checkbox that turns them off but you've overlooked them.

Nov 10, 2017 2:22 PM in response to Kappy

I agree. The Modem and PPPoE were not being used; but, had no checkbox for revealing the icon as with other Status Menu items. Note that the screen captures tell the story. Third-party menu items work as advertised.

I can see that Command-dragging _will_ pull them from the menu; but hesitate. How would I get them back on if I need their functionality (handy access to preferences)?

How to remove status-menu item icons that don't exist.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.