Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bought IPhone X locked for Sprint

Hi all,

I bought an Iphone X from another person who said the phone was unlocked. He agreed to my request to only meet INSIDE THE POLICE STATION and we made the deal. Now I found the phone is on payments with Sprint and obviously he doesn't answer the phone.

Already went to the police who said it is a civil case, go to the court, bla bla bla.

In terms of the phone usability, what can I do?.

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 10, 2017 5:02 PM

19 replies

Nov 10, 2017 5:09 PM in response to tatoweb

Nothing. You got scammed. The police provide a safe space to carry out transactions. They can't guarantee you're not going to get ripped off, just that you won't be held up at gunpoint or murdered while making the buy...

They are correct. This is a civil matter, not a criminal matter.

You might be able to activate it on Sprint, then have it unlocked after meeting their conditions, but only Sprint can say for sure and I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Nov 10, 2017 5:16 PM in response to tatoweb

If this phone is on a payment plan with Sprint, I'd say there's a good chance you purchased a stolen phone. If you did, you'll likely have to turn the phone over and you're out the money you paid. Would you think that a highly coveted phone, which is in back order around the world was an unusual deal this new into iPhone X lifecycle? People are paying over list price for this phone so I'm curious to know if you paid less or more than retail for the phone?

Nov 10, 2017 5:26 PM in response to tatoweb

They clearly chose the safest place in the world to scam you.

1. There is no such thing as an unlocked Sprint phone right now.

2. Apple hasn't released a sim-free unlocked phone in the US

3. Unless the jerk who sold you the phone gave you the original purchase receipt, you don't even have any warranty on this phone and if you do sell it outside the US, whoever buys it won't have ANY warranty either. Even if they did, the warranty would have been valid in the US only.

Had you done just a bit of research, you would have seen the red flags. I'm sorry this happened to you, but this was completely avoidable.

Nov 10, 2017 5:35 PM in response to tatoweb

tatoweb wrote:

Yes that is why I want to unlock it first then sell it for somebody abroad, so they can use it.

There's a really good chance you bought a stolen phone.

Was this phone set up before you bought it, or was it in a factory sealed box? In case you hadn't heard, there was a UPS truck held up at gunpoint on launch day and over $350,000 worth of iPhones were stolen. Apple has blacklisted each and every one. You could have bought one of them.

Nov 10, 2017 5:50 PM in response to tatoweb

It sounds as if the person made the purchase from Sprint, and then failed to make payments, either on the phone or the cellular contract. I would imagine that Sprint will be more than willing to release that device to you for paying off the phone, and paying off the defrauded contract. That is all Sprint will accept for you to get a released phone. There are deadbeats all around the world. This one figured he would get away with it, and it appears that he did. He defrauded Sprint, and then you, and walked away with your $1200. The only thing the person that sold you the phone will have to worry about is trying to get another contract with Sprint, or another carrier if the share the information. It should show up on his credit report if he tries to get another contract phone from a carrier. Sprints answer to the failure to pay is to blacklist the phone. So, you are stuck, unless you pay off Sprint.

Nov 10, 2017 6:16 PM in response to tatoweb

You have just restored my faith in humanity. I'm very pleased to see you did this and that says a lot about you. If I were you, I'd chalk this up to a loss. Sprint still isn't involved in this yet. As I mentioned above, it's possible the phone is stolen. If it is and you go to see Sprint, they'll confiscate the phone. If it isn't stolen and they'll work with you, you'll have to pay off the $999 to have this phone. That would make your investment in a $999 phone, $2199. Not a very good investment to be sure.

Nov 13, 2017 10:13 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I just got online and the guy is selling more phones. Now he describes them as “Sprint Carrier”. After being ripped off, I want to create a new account and pretend that I want to buy from him.

What would you do if you were me after asking for your money back and receiving a stupid answer (which I think will be the case) like “that’s why I sold you the phones so cheap” for example?

Bought IPhone X locked for Sprint

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.