Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voice recording bug on iPhone X?

Anybody else having problem with voice recording on some apps on their iPhone X? I first discovered the problem when I tried to use the Sleep Cycle app. When I open the Sleep Cycle app, it keeps crashing. I contacted their developer and told me to try the Voice Memo app of Apple, I hit the record button and it's not recording, it looks like it's recording but the timer is not running and it just stops after a couple of seconds and nothing ever recorded. I tried another voice recording app called Recordium and it's the same problem. I then tried the Clips app of Apple and it will record videos but no sound recorded. The microphone access are enabled.

The thing is it has no problem recording sounds in the iMessage app. Voice messaging, Animoji and dictation works. Siri works and can understand. The Camera app works in recording video and sounds. So I think it's not a hardware issue. My iPhone X was restored from an iPhone 7+ backup. I've tried shutting it off and then on. Force restart and nothing works. The only thing I have not tried is to set up the iPhone X as a new iPhone.

Before I do the last option, I want to check if anyone else is having the same problem and that it might be just a software bug. Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

iPhone X, iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 10, 2017 7:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2017 2:38 PM

Hi, I had exact same problem but I’ve found the problem, my last phone’s earpiece was failing so I had turned on hearing aid compatibility mode which helped a little on that last iPhone t had but when I installed my backup from iTunes to the X it seems to have copied my settings as I’ve just found the setting was enabled, I turned it off and now it works like a charm. Just go to general, accessibility and make sure hearing aid compatibility is turned off, this sorted the problem for me, hope it works for you 👍

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2017 2:38 PM in response to Mac Ed

Hi, I had exact same problem but I’ve found the problem, my last phone’s earpiece was failing so I had turned on hearing aid compatibility mode which helped a little on that last iPhone t had but when I installed my backup from iTunes to the X it seems to have copied my settings as I’ve just found the setting was enabled, I turned it off and now it works like a charm. Just go to general, accessibility and make sure hearing aid compatibility is turned off, this sorted the problem for me, hope it works for you 👍

Nov 10, 2017 7:54 PM in response to Mac Ed

I had a similar problem with people not hearing my calls. Thought it was the mic.

The solution an appointment with the Genius Bar. First they did a diagnostic of the device to check the hardware and sound. Next we swapped my SIM card into another phone and did a test call. The call worked perfect. So it wasn’t my some card. Next we took my iPhone X out of the folio case and did a test call. The call sounded perfect. So the Apple assistant said it must be my case. I asked to place my phone in an Apple branded folio case to test. And was able to reproduce the same muffled sounds.

The solution seems to be if you have a folio case to keep the case opened like a book

📖 next to your face, raised to your ear. The call clarity is then perfect as the noise cancelling mic near the back facing camera doesn’t get obstructed by acoustics reflected bouncing from the case flap.

Dec 18, 2017 8:14 PM in response to diveronline

YOU, my friend (diveronline), are a genius! I spent the last two hours trying to figure out why my visual voicemail and voice memo apps stopped working and THIS was the SOLUTION. I have no idea how hearing aid compatibility was enabled, but turning it off fixed both the Voice Memo and Voicemail issue. Whew! Thank you so much for posting this.

🙂

Voice recording bug on iPhone X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.