Related Article: How to reset your AirPort base station

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset not working on AirPort Time Capsule

Hello.

I want to change my WiFi network name, but can't get into AirPort Utility to do that as i have forgotten my password.

So, i have followed these instructions below, which will apparently give me 5 minutes to access TimeCapsule without needing a password, but my reset button doesnt seem to be working.

When i "Press and hold the reset button for 1 second, then release the button" the status light on my base station does NOT flash amber, stays green. Tried holding it longer than 1 second - still no change.

Would love some advice - thanks in advance.

Nick

Soft reset

1. Make sure that the base station is connected to power.
  2. Press and hold the reset button for 1 second, then release the button. The status light on the base station flashes amber.
  3. From the Wi-Fi status menu User uploaded file in the menu bar, choose the Wi-Fi network created by your base station.
  4. Open AirPort Utility, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.
  5. Click the icon for your base station in AirPort Utility, then click Edit from the pop-up menu. You can now change the password or reconfigure the base station as needed. When done, click Update.

MacBook Air, macOS Sierra (10.12.3), null

Posted on Nov 10, 2017 10:17 PM

1 reply

Nov 11, 2017 5:27 AM in response to npfxo

Unfortunately, this sounds like the reset button is broken, or not aligned correctly, and that's a real deal killer unless you can get into AirPort Utility in another way.

If you still have the Mac that you used to set up the Time Capsule originally, you might be able to retrieve the password for the Time Capsule if you enabled the option for your Mac to save passwords in KeyChain Access.

Do you still have the Mac that you used to set up the Time Capsule originally?

If not, your only real option at this point is to open up the Time Capsule and try to get at the reset button mechanism. This is not an easy task at all for most users, so you might want to ask a technician about this before you proceed. Do not do this if the Time Capsule is still in warranty, because opening up the case will void the warranty on the product.

Reset not working on AirPort Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.