Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

N key doesn't work as expected

Hi everyone. My device is Mac Pro 2017 with touch bar. My 'N' key didn't work well after a month from my purchasing it. I sent it to Genius Bar to repair it and spent about half a month to resolve this problem(ps: really a long time 😟). But I find the same question for the second time after last repair!! When I prepared to order a call from the apple support center, 'N' key recovered by itself. It is really a strange issue which I think may be a common design flaw.

Have you guys ever met this terrible&annoying problem? I really want to know whether it is just a instance of my poor device.

Thanks for your time to reply!

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, iOS 10.3.3, Actually the system is 10.12.6

Posted on Nov 10, 2017 9:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2017 11:54 PM

If it is still under warranty and the problem is recurring then kick up a stink until they give you a new machine.

Just a note you don't have a Mac Pro 2017, you have a MacBook Pro 2017, different things, there is a forum for MacBook Pros, MacBook Pro see if anyone else is having a problem with their N's.

8 replies

Nov 11, 2017 12:14 AM in response to INKWWW

Be persistent and always polite, but point out that you don't expect to pay thousands of dollars/ pounds etc for a machine that suffers a hardware problem from the get go and after having been repaired once suffers the same fault again. And because of this reoccurrence of the initial fault your confidence in that particular machine has been dented, and only a new replacement will restore your faith in the Apple brand. Oh and talk to the manager. I hope you bought this through an Apple Retail Store.

Nov 11, 2017 12:24 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Yeap. I bought this device in Apple Retail Store. But nowadays, it will recover by itself in several minutes after 'N' doesn't work, which makes it a little difficult to present this issue to Apple like last time I sent it to Genius Bar. And I really need it everyday. Therefore, I have't dropped a phone call to Support Center now after these two recent troubles.

For now, maybe I will continue to use it. But this annoying issue must be settled at last.

And thanks for our kind & detailed & prompt reply. 😁

Nov 11, 2017 12:42 AM in response to INKWWW

Ask in the MacBook Pro forum to see if anybody has a similar experience with 'odd' keyboard key behaviour.

I know it is difficult to present an intermittent problem like this to the store but at least make them aware that it still happens and that they have a note about it. It is most likely that it will happen more frequently and then just not work at all, which will probably mean the whole keyboard will need replaced, and you didn't pay for that to happen.

Sorry if I am being ultra negative but I would really angle for a replacement before too much time goes by.

Nov 11, 2017 12:51 AM in response to Eau Rouge

I have posted this issue to the MacBook Pro forum to find other sufferers since I have searched this problem online and there are someone else having the same problem on 'K', which deepens my guess that there may be more customers suffering from it and this issue maybe a common design flaw.

In fact, we do need to argue for our right ! I should drop them a call to inform Apple.

Thanks bro

Nov 11, 2017 1:13 AM in response to INKWWW

Ok me again, just a thought, it is okay of course to notify them by phone but personally I would go in person and see them physically making a note about your problem and that they also give you a copy of that note so that you have a hard copy of the issue and the measures with a time line that have already been taken to resolve it. If you can present them with written details of your purchase and the first and subsequent times you have flagged the issue and any repairs that have been done that would go a long way to them having to give you a new like for like replacement.

N key doesn't work as expected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.