Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does the iPhone 6 'Recently Deleted' album take up space?

Hi - I was attempting to free up some space on my 6 by deleting photos when I noticed a album in the Photos app title 'Recently Deleted', and there were 340 of my deleted pics...question - does that album take up as much space as the photos themselves? And if so, how do I delete the album so I can finally free up some space? thx

MacBook

Posted on Nov 10, 2017 10:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2017 11:07 PM

Technically the photos in 'Recently Deleted' do reside in the phone and therefore must be consuming storage. That then leaves the question 'would the phone proactively remove such photos if it was under storage space stress?' - I've seen nothing to make me believe that it does.

You can manually 'fully' delete the photos.

Go to the "Recently Deleted' album, click 'Select' top right of the screen, then either (1) click 'Delete All' bottom left of the screen, or (2) Tap individual photos to select a number of individual photos to purge, then press 'Delete' button bottom left of the screen.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2017 11:07 PM in response to jabXhook

Technically the photos in 'Recently Deleted' do reside in the phone and therefore must be consuming storage. That then leaves the question 'would the phone proactively remove such photos if it was under storage space stress?' - I've seen nothing to make me believe that it does.

You can manually 'fully' delete the photos.

Go to the "Recently Deleted' album, click 'Select' top right of the screen, then either (1) click 'Delete All' bottom left of the screen, or (2) Tap individual photos to select a number of individual photos to purge, then press 'Delete' button bottom left of the screen.

does the iPhone 6 'Recently Deleted' album take up space?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.