Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

kill photoanalysisd

It is obvious that the function of Photo photoanalysisd is killing CPU with my 2009 Mac at 50-80% CPU and grinding through my life-time with of photos. I require a kill feature in terminal to stop this process or as a minimum moderate CPU allocation to this application to 10-20%. I also note that in the latest IOS agreements the wording did not say that all my photos would be micro analysed for details so slowing up my CPU by a factor of 10 fold.

Mac Pro, iOS 11.1, 2009

Posted on Nov 10, 2017 11:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2018 11:10 AM

871 photos and it has been 3 weeks now and is always running. Yes, i noticed when Photos app is up, it will slow down after a few minutes. but goes right back up to a minimum of 48% and higher after minimizing.

i wake up in morning and sure enough, right on top at 51%. like it never finishes

what can i do??

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2018 11:10 AM in response to léonie

871 photos and it has been 3 weeks now and is always running. Yes, i noticed when Photos app is up, it will slow down after a few minutes. but goes right back up to a minimum of 48% and higher after minimizing.

i wake up in morning and sure enough, right on top at 51%. like it never finishes

what can i do??

Jan 18, 2018 12:26 PM in response to par5fore

I am also having problems with this photoanalysisd having upgraded my Mac operating system yestsrday, mainly because Photo is now using all my bandwidth for people recognition and making all internet processes really slow. Likewise my CPU for photoanalysisd is over 50%. I tried to throw the icon in the trash as someone suggested but I was disallowed saying it was essential to the system... Help!

Jan 21, 2018 3:56 PM in response to juglansjames

I have the same problem. photoanalysisd has been running for a month! It takes up most of my cpu power (whenever photos isn't running) and my mac crashes all the time! The upgrade to sierra has been a disaster for me. Any other profile I open on this mac (family mac) runs fine except my profile because that's where all our photos are stored.

Nov 11, 2017 12:33 AM in response to juglansjames

photoanalysisd should not be running, while you are working with Photos. Are sou seeing it using CPU time, while you are browsing or editing photos?

The safest way to prevent photoanalysisd from running is using Photos - while you are browsing or editing Photos, the process should not be running. And if you are not using Photos unplug the drive with your Photos Library. The process cannot run, if there is no Photos Library on any mounted drive.

You can kill or stop a process from the Terminal using the command launchctl, but killing alone will not suffice, because Photos will just restart the process again. You would have to disable photoanalysisd from ever running again.

Enter

man launchctl

into a Terminal window to see the documentation for this command.

This command will disable photoanalysisd:

launchctl disable gui/$UID/com.apple.photoanalysisd

And this will kill the currently running process, after you disabled it.

launchctl kill -TERM gui/$UID/com.apple.photoanalysisd

To enable it again, use

launchctl enable gui/$UID/com.apple.photoanalysisd

But Photos 3.0 is not of much use, if you prevent it from collecting the categories, places, faces. I#d let the process run during the night, to get the task done.

Mar 22, 2018 11:50 AM in response to juglansjames

I tried all of the proposed solutions, in the end the only thing that worked was temporarily moving my photos library to another folder so the daemon couldn't find it. I only have a couple dozen photos in my library, and this task was KILLING my machine - very unresponsive. 100% CPU on both cores with fan at max RPMs. As soon as I moved the photos library the CPU usage dropped from 100% on both cores to around 5%. Now my machine is usable again (13" Mid-2010). It is curious that my two newer MacBooks do not have this issue.

Mar 7, 2018 6:58 PM in response to par5fore

Check the permissions of your photo library and make sure you have read/write access. I know, it's strange, you can import photos and everything but if the photo library itself has no write permissions for your user, photoanalsysd will analyze forever.

Right-click on the Photo.Library.photoslibrary, and select "Get Info", then go to the Botton "Sharing & Permissions", click on the padlock if necessary and then '+' to add yourself, and then enable "Read & Write"

kill photoanalysisd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.