Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exported files too small

Hi everyone,

I've exported all my files in the Photos.app to the Finder using the 'Export Unmodified Original' option. After the export was completed, I checked the size of the folder to which I've exported all the Files. As it turned out, this very folder was about 300 GB big - my Photos Library is about 400 GB big, though.

Maybe Photos doesn't export duplicates, but even then, the difference in size is too big.

It'd be great if someone knows what happened.

Thank you so much in advance!

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 3:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 4:02 AM

The original image files require less size than the size of your Photos Library. The library also is storing the edited versions and faces thumbnails, and perhaps a photo each folder for syncing with iTunes.

You will find the originals inside your Photos Library in the folder "Masters".

Select the Photos Library in the Finder, ctrl-click (or right click) it, then select "Show package contents". You will see a folder inside the window that will open called "Masters". Compare the size of this folder to the size of the photos you exported. The sizes should roughly be the same.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2017 4:02 AM in response to danimuc

The original image files require less size than the size of your Photos Library. The library also is storing the edited versions and faces thumbnails, and perhaps a photo each folder for syncing with iTunes.

You will find the originals inside your Photos Library in the folder "Masters".

Select the Photos Library in the Finder, ctrl-click (or right click) it, then select "Show package contents". You will see a folder inside the window that will open called "Masters". Compare the size of this folder to the size of the photos you exported. The sizes should roughly be the same.

Exported files too small

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.