Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change apple id on iphone 5s

i want to change the apple id on my iphone5s to another apple id which already exists. It tells me that the new id cannot be the same as the notification email address. How do i change the notification email address?

iPhone 5s, iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 2:36 AM

1 reply

Nov 11, 2017 4:59 PM in response to maryfromrepton

Hello maryfromrepton!

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities! I see from your post that you are trying to change your Apple ID e-mail address to a pre-existing one but that email address is setup as the rescue e-mail address. I'm sure I can guide you through this process and help you find the answers you need.

If you want to change your Apple ID to the same e-mail address as the rescue e-mail address, you will need to either remove the current rescue e-mail address, use a different pre-existing e-mail address, or create a new e-mail account, if necessary, with a third-party e-mail provider. The use of a rescue e-mail address is recommended for security reasons, but it is completely optional as mentioned in this article called, About your Apple ID email addresses :

Rescue email address

Having a rescue email address is optional but recommended. If you ever forget your security questions, you can use your rescue email address to reset them. If you don't have a rescue email address, you'll need to contact Apple Support for help. We also send any account security-related notifications to your rescue email address.

Follow these steps to add or edit a rescue email address:

1. Sign in to your Apple ID account page.
  2. Click Edit in the Security section. You might be asked to answer one or more security questions before you continue.
  3. If you want to add a rescue email address:
    • Under Rescue Email, click Add an Email Address, then enter your rescue email address. We send a verification to that address. Didn't get the email?
    • Enter the verification code and click Verify.
  4. If you want to edit a rescue email address:
    • Select Change Email Address under the address you want to edit, then enter the new address. We send a verification to that address. Didn't get the email?
    • Enter the verification code and click Verify.
  5. If you want to delete a rescue email address, click User uploaded file next to the address.

If you use two-step verification or two-factor authentication, you have a notification email address, not a rescue email address. With two-factor authentication and two-step verification, you don't need a rescue address. You can also use these steps to add or edit your notification email address.

Be sure to also check out these other helpful resources regarding changing your Apple ID:

Change your Apple ID

What to do after you change your Apple ID email address or password

I hope this information helps you.

Have a wonderful day!

Change apple id on iphone 5s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.