Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting a "Full Resolution Not Supported" Error

I'm running Photos on my Mac Pro 5,1 (2010) with High Sierra and shooting video (at 4K) on my iPhone 7. When I open Photos and try and watch any of the footage shot in HEVC I got a "Full Resolution Not Supported" Error with the "!" triangle in the upper right hand corner.

For now, I imported to iMovie, turned into Pro Res, and changed the setting on my iPhone to shoot in H.264. But any clue as to why this is happening?

User uploaded file

Mac Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), Mac Pro 5,1 - 2 x 3.33 GHz 6-Core

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 5:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 8:05 AM

It is only in Photos that the High resolution HEVC is not supported on Mac models older than late 2015. The QuickTime Player on High Sierra can play it, even on my mid 2015 MBPr.

and changed the setting on my iPhone to shoot in H.264. But any clue as to why this is happening?

You could also change the settings to download from your iPhone in H.264, but keep the videos on the iPhone in the newer format. See this document for the possible settings: Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2017 8:05 AM in response to wallybarthman

It is only in Photos that the High resolution HEVC is not supported on Mac models older than late 2015. The QuickTime Player on High Sierra can play it, even on my mid 2015 MBPr.

and changed the setting on my iPhone to shoot in H.264. But any clue as to why this is happening?

You could also change the settings to download from your iPhone in H.264, but keep the videos on the iPhone in the newer format. See this document for the possible settings: Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Nov 11, 2017 9:23 AM in response to Rich839

When you share out from iMovie the HEVC videos that you have, is the final shared out movie in HEVC format? Or or do they revert to H.264?

All HEVC videos I am sharing from iMovie are no longer HEVC. I am getting the usual Quality options when using "Share to file".

Photos cannot export HEVC either, unless I export "Unmodified Original".

It looks like the export options for HEIF and HEVC have not been made fully available for the developers.

When I try to export a HEIF photo from GraphicConverter, I am getting this alert:

User uploaded file

Nov 11, 2017 7:49 AM in response to Rich839

This article says the same as you, Rich:
Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Mac models from mid 2015 or earlier work with HEVC video that was captured at no greater than 1080p/240 fps.

No mention about specific applications. But a user posted a HEVC 4K in the Photos forum, and I could open it in Quicktime, but not in Photos. Unfortunately, I did not save the video clip, so I could not test with iMovie. Have you seen any posts about HEVC 4K with iMovie? The HEVC videos I created from H.264 videos are working in iMovie 10.1.8.

Nov 11, 2017 8:05 AM in response to wallybarthman

Mac models from mid 2015 or earlier work with HEVC video that was captured at no greater than 1080p at 240 fps. It is a matter of the older hardware not having enough acceleration to handle the new format at 4K resolution. As I understand it, but not entirely sure, the newer devices have an A10 chip, versus A9 for the older ones.

-- Rich

Nov 11, 2017 7:26 AM in response to léonie

Hi, Léonie,

My info was from an article I read. Couldn't test with Quicktime Player because no HEVC 4K video handy, but nice to know that HEVC 4K will play on Quicktime with mid 2015 Macs. The OP's question was about Photos, so at least the article was accurate as to that. I suppose that we will need to wait for the next Photos iteration for HEVC 4K to work on it.

-- Rich

Nov 11, 2017 8:04 AM in response to wallybarthman

Ah, thank you all - that makes sense. That didn't occur to me because I've got a 12-core Mac Pro with a Radeon RX 580 Graphics Card.

I can confirm that Quicktime Player will be play HEVC video if I use something like Image Capture to transfer it. My work around, for this round, was to download it via iMovie and then share it to Pro Res so I could edit it in Final Cut Pro. (Phew, not doing that again)

Nov 11, 2017 9:02 AM in response to léonie

I can't recall seeing any posts yet referencing HEVC 4k specifically. The posts in the iMovie forum mostly deal with problems importing HEVC into iMovie, that were solved once they updated to High Sierra and iMovie 10.1.8. No one has mentioned whether the final Movie shared out from iMovie in HEVC retained the HEVC format. I wish I had some HEVC 4k clips to test with. Unfortunately I have an iPhone 6s that doesn't give me the high efficiency option.

When you share out from iMovie the HEVC videos that you have, is the final shared out movie in HEVC format? Or or do they revert to H.264?

-- Rich

Nov 12, 2017 12:46 AM in response to Rich839

Just an add-on, Rich.

All HEVC files I have tested with iMovie have been H.264 files, that I converted to HEVC using QuickPlayer. The export limit is 1080... It does not offer the 4k option on my mid 2015 Macs on export for HEVC, even if it can play them.

iTunes (just tested) can import HEVC exported with 1080... and can play them on High Sierra, as can Photos and iMovie.

Getting a "Full Resolution Not Supported" Error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.