Related Article

Set up cellular on your Apple Watch

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Is anyone else having trouble with the new cellular watch connecting to cellular and wi fi?

My new Apple Watch has multiple bugs when my phone is not within range. It does not connect to cellular so I cannot make or receive phone calls - even though I have Wi Fi calling and a know network in range. Siri does not work when this condition exists.

I have been working with Apple Care for 2 weeks and no answers yet. I keep hearing that engineering is working on it and that others are having the same problem.

If I can't rely on the cellular function, the watch is not what I bargained for!

Any thoughts anyone?

Deanna

Apple Watch Series 3

Posted on

Page content loaded

Nov 11, 2017 6:05 AM in response to Deannanel In response to Deannanel

Hi

Without knowing what steps have already been tried during your two weeks of working with Apple Support, it is difficult to offer suggestions without potentially duplicating effort.

Keep in mind that the functions that are available on your Apple Watch when it is away from your iPhone depend on various factors including:

Features and requirements that apply under various circumstances are detailed here, including within the footnotes:

How to use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby - Apple Support

Nov 11, 2017 6:05 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 11, 2017 6:14 AM in response to Jonathan UK In response to Jonathan UK

Yes, I have the GPS and Cellular model. Yes, I have Wi Fi calling set up with AT&T. Yes, Bluetooth is enabled.

The watch was advertised as being able to make cellular calls when away from the phone. Mine can sometimes and sometimes not. It can connect to Siri sometimes and sometimes not (telling me it is thinking and will tap me when ready). It also could not connect to my AirPods the other day, when my phone was nearby and Settings on my phone claimed that the device was connected. I was trying to stream music from the watch. I was in a residential area where cellular was readily available. I finally just used my phone to play music.

The problems are sporadic. I have already looked at the support articles and my phone just does not seem to work as expected. It feels like it may be an antenna problem.

Nov 11, 2017 6:14 AM

Reply Helpful

Dec 18, 2017 9:09 PM in response to Deannanel In response to Deannanel

Just bought the cellular 3 watch and try to hook it up with sprint BIG HEADACHE I’ve been the ping pong ball with sprint and Apple care each telling me the other is responsible to make it work only one day packing it up and back to Apple very disappointing results dropping 800 and change for nothing also would buy another plain gps model but only I want my watches with sapphire crystals only So thanks apple and sprint for bursting my balloon 24 hours of tournament just find out it’s not going to work WOW !

Dec 18, 2017 9:09 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 18, 2017 9:15 PM in response to billjbeck58 In response to billjbeck58

My watch was replaced by Apple. The new one is better, however I still have problems connecting to cellular and my air pods. I have AT & T as my carrier and I do not think the problem is their fault.The cellular feature is just not as good as it should be.

I still like having it, though. When it works right it is great!

Dec 18, 2017 9:15 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 25, 2017 8:27 AM in response to Deannanel In response to Deannanel

Same here, just set up my new watch and AT&T Cellular plan. Watch won't switch to cellular and in Settings/Cellular it shows Carrier: AT&T, but Status: No Connection. Apple tech support said update watch iOS to 4.2. Doing that now (for last hour). I'll report back if this fixes it.

Dec 25, 2017 8:27 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Deannanel

Question: Is anyone else having trouble with the new cellular watch connecting to cellular and wi fi?